Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ5 upgrade

miguel87

What is the logical upgrade for my EQ5 mount?

I have a 200p and use it purely for visual astronomy and often sketching. I like to be able to RA track for relaxing observing and sketching but I do not want goto and I dont do any astrophotography.

My reasons for thinking about an upgrade are that the clutches are not as secure as I would like them to be, even after being 'wound in' (one of the screws sheared of last time I did this so will not be adjustable if it needs taking in again in the future).

Also the polar alignment scope is a real pain to look through!

Finally the motor has its quirks. There is some 'slack' I think because after backtracking I cant just leave the motor to run without fast forwarding a little, otherwise it doesnt move. And sometimes, even with fresh batteries there is a delay of 5 seconds or more before it lurches into action.

Any opinions welcome.

2 hours ago, CloudMagnet said:

On the polar scope issue, I found the best way to solve that was to use a right-angled eyepiece like the one in the link below. Makes polar aligning much less stressful.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/astro-essentials-right-angled-eyepiece-for-polar-scopes.html

That looks useful, I wonder if polar scopes are a standard diameter? Would this definitely fit the eq5 polar scope? Would I ignore the mini focusser currently on the polar scope?

Thanks

2 hours ago, MarkAR said:

How about a SW AZ EQ6, can be set up as Alt Az or EQ (for RA tracking).

Thanks for the recommendation. I would never use AZ mode so wouldnt be a selling point for me. But if the clutches or motor are significantly better then I would look at is as a possible solution.

• Like 1

Just now, miguel87 said:

That looks useful, I wonder if polar scopes are a standard diameter? Would this definitely fit the eq5 polar scope? Would I ignore the mini focusser currently on the polar scope?

Thanks

It definetly fits as I use it on my EQ5, it only focuses with the 1x zoom but it honestly makes polar aligning painless rather than the usual yoga session without it.

All you do it fit that brass ring over the end of the polar scope and rotate the eyepiece until you find focus. I find that you can also polar align at lot earlier in the evening than you would just using the standard scope as you can keep your eye steadier- saves time later in the night for other setup work.

23 minutes ago, CloudMagnet said:

It definetly fits as I use it on my EQ5, it only focuses with the 1x zoom but it honestly makes polar aligning painless rather than the usual yoga session without it.

All you do it fit that brass ring over the end of the polar scope and rotate the eyepiece until you find focus. I find that you can also polar align at lot earlier in the evening than you would just using the standard scope as you can keep your eye steadier- saves time later in the night for other setup work.

Great thankyou, might look into that. Honestly the standard angle of the eq5 polar scope is hilarious and I am relatively flexible. Must be impossible for many people to look through.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

I managed to get a right angled eye piece from ebay for around £10. It was not designed for a polar scope but had a square end of a camera view finder so I just glued a piece of a plastic pipe on the end so it fits over the polar scope eyepiece and it works a treat. I just though the cost of an actual polar scope right angle view finder was very expensive especially as the same thing with a square connector was only around £10. I'm on a tight budget so make do with what I can. Also the view finder has a x2 slider options so makes life that bit easier. Hope this helps.

Regards

20200517_224606.jpg

20200517_224622.jpg