NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mirror brackets in eyepiece

hi Keith

What are you looking at and is this day or night?

I'm guessing Venus since you mention the bright one and that's the brightest object I can see at the moment, toward the west. Are you able to get a picture to show this effect?

With stars you will get diffraction spikes, the number depending on how many vanes are holding the secondary. It's unfortunately the way reflectors work unless you've a MAK/SCT.

Hello , im a total beginner ,getting excited now

im looking at it now im in derby  cant get pictures this first time ive got it to work ,had trouble with finder 

.when you take end cover off scope if you look into it you have the little held in place buy four thin brackets in a cross ,now i can see the planet,

but its just very bright in eyepiece ,when i focus in i get the brackets in view

Keith

that's odd as the brackets should be so far out of focus as to not be seen if you have Venus pin sharp (at its smallest when focusing). What eyepiece are you using, I assume the lowest mag one (20 or 25mm)?

For sure Venus is bright though, you should be able to make it out as a crescent shape most likely tho depends on your scope, EP and how tolerant you are of a very bright target I guess

If you can see the outline of the mirror supports you are not in focus.

Keep adjusting the focus until you have the target (Venus in this case) looking it's smallest as DaveL59 says. Then you should see it is around 50% illuminated - like a tiny version of the Moon.

YES,thats what i should have said mirror supports ,we did get get Venus in to a tiny dot of light ,could not 

make out any features ,im really grateful to the members on here for the help

but now im looking  at scopes at my Age,  wish i had started sooner , think daughter should bought me a GO TO one 

Keith

20200414_215425#1.jpg

20200414_215425#1.jpg

If you saw Venus looking like this (below) then that is what it usually looks like just now. Seeing any details on the planet is very challenging and it takes experienced eyes to pick them out.

venus.jpg.66a9a4bcc00efe53f32aae8bbee46b09.jpg

well done though Keith, getting started and figuring it all out can take a little time but soon becomes second nature. A goto is handy but a heck of a lot more £ and a whole load of new things to learn (polar aligning, star alignment, need for power supply etc). If you're thinking of just being able to stay tracked on the chosen target tho you could add a clockwork (motor) drive for the RA axis. Then once you've found a target you can relax and let the clock drive keep it in view while you just enjoy it :)