NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Need help adapting power supply for HEQ5

Dan13

Morning, last night I had a nightmare! Started at 9pm ready to settle down for dark and image M51. The my synscan handset decided to keep freezing, it did this sporadically and all the way till I gave up at 1.30am! 

I'm thinking after looking in the daylight today that the power supply going into the mount is too loose. I have found an old 12v 2.5amp plug and the head from that fits a lot better. 

Question is could I cut the head of the good one and replace it onto the old one and use that?? 

Pictures below, many thanks for any help 

20200414_114315.jpg

20200414_114327.jpg

20200414_114335.jpg

20200414_114339.jpg

5 minutes ago, MarkAR said:

Can't see why not, just make sure you have the wires correct.

Thanks Mark, you have become my savour on here lately haha, im guessing red/red black/black. ill see when i open them both up

2 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

You may also need to tighten up the power socket in the handset, ensuring it grips the plug securely. I've found, that over time, they can get a slack\loose.

thanks Julian, im going direct to mount for my power source so have nothing into the handset itself other then the patch cable 

edit: unless of course thats the "power cable" your referring too?

Edited by Dan13

1 minute ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Then also check the socket on the mount, and if you can, replace the plug\socket arrangement with some of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6x-GX16-2-3-4-Pin-Female-Male-Aviation-Connector-Plug-Circular-Socket-Metal/223065862292  They will provide a much more secure connection....

Ok thank you, great info! changed the head on the mains supply and its all sturdy but guess what! hand controller frozen!! this is driving me nuts, only had the mount a week (used) previous owner advised no problems mmm....

The last thing i cant check is handset update as i only got the serial plug with it not serial to usb and with the lock down im struggling to get one :(

not having much luck with this hobby

1 hour ago, Dan13 said:

not having much luck with this hobby

But when you get all the little niggles out of the way you'll enjoy all the late nights and freezing weather to come, plus hopefully some stunning images.😁

10 minutes ago, MarkAR said:

But when you get all the little niggles out of the way you'll enjoy all the late nights and freezing weather to come, plus hopefully some stunning images.😁

Agreed, but atm im struggling. the handset is constantly freezing, i can scan through the menu options and then its freezes. ive tried 3 different power sources, same thing every time...im at a loss

10 minutes ago, MarkAR said:

Have you tried the factory setting. It should be at the bottom in the SetUp drop down.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/user/SynScan_HandControl_web191112v3_2_.pdf

Also there's a self diagnostic feature.

think i did the factory reset last night, ill try again. Ive also just used another spare patch cable to see if it was the data cable and not the power, that still froze the handset...

Power has been tested in 3 different sources

data cable been replaced

im sincerely hoping its the controller and not the mount