Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Question about the Eskimo/ Clown Face Nebula

domstar

During a double star session last night I found myself face to face with the Eskimo Nebula at 150x magnification in my 4 inch refractor. I'd like to know if it is possible to see the central star in this nebula with my equipment. With averted vision the core was unexpectedly bright with a point of light in the middle. I'm not very experienced with planetary nebular and I was surprised to see it brighter in the middle. Could it have been the central star? Am I kidding myself? (probably). Is the Eskimo usually brighter in the middle?

Thanks for any thoughts.

• Like 2

Yes, the central star is quite easily visible with this planetary nebula with higher magnifications. Not so easy if you use a filter when observing observe it though. The central star is around magnitude 10.5 I think.

So you were not imagining it :smiley:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, domstar said:

During a double star session last night I found myself face to face with the Eskimo Nebula at 150x magnification in my 4 inch refractor. I'd like to know if it is possible to see the central star in this nebula with my equipment. With averted vision the core was unexpectedly bright with a point of light in the middle. I'm not very experienced with planetary nebular and I was surprised to see it brighter in the middle. Could it have been the central star? Am I kidding myself? (probably). Is the Eskimo usually brighter in the middle?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Congrats!

Yes the Eskimo is 2 toned (at least) and you have touched on this. Repeated observing under good skies and using high mag reveals much in the Eskimo. I get more detail out of it with no filter.

Excellent observing Domstar.

Edited by jetstream
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1