Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSLR for starting deep sky AP

Hi all,

I’m looking to move into deep sky AP with a HEQ5 Pro and a SW130-PDS. I’ve heard this is a relatively nice way to get started. Anyway, in regards to a DSLR, I currently have a Canon 1300D, and was wondering if this is any good to start with? If so I would likely get it modified, or is it worth getting another model (e.g. a 600D) and modifying this instead? I will be using a SW 0.9x coma corrector as well.

Thanks in advance,

Josh

Never mind! After a bit more searching I’ve found some info which has helped me decide. (Mod the 1300D; it has a good dynamic range and manageable noise at suitable exposure times for the 130-PDS)

• Like 1

Hi Josh,

I would suggest to start with only the most obviously needed items (mount and scope). Use your unmodded camera without guiding, and try things out. Then add guiding, and maybe have your dslr modded. Or choose to get a (used) dedicated cooled astro camera by then. Or a already modded dslr to the same price as modding your own.

Ragnar

• Thanks 1

Josh,

I agree with Ragnar... don't get the camera modded yet. I've never modded my cameras, never felt the need. And, Keep it simple. Keeping the complexity (guiding) out of the equation to start with, whilst it will limit your exposure time, will allow you to learn your craft with this gear, get the steps right etc, and begin learning the art of processing, before making things more complex, and frustrating.

• Thanks 1