NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M45 RE-PRO FROM LAST NIGHT

Dave Moulton

Really Nice detail int he Nebulosity Dave , Maltese cross stars...but whats caused the streaking?

Billy....

I was wondering that because I've seen it before on another forum's image. Turns out it something to do with different monitors. At least that's what it was in that case. Lovely shot Dave, dusty and mysterious just as it should be.

Really Nice detail int he Nebulosity Dave , Maltese cross stars...but whats caused the streaking?

Billy....

I was wondering that because I've seen it before on another forum's image. Turns out it something to do with different monitors. At least that's what it was in that case. Lovely shot Dave, dusty and mysterious just as it should be.

Thanks guys, constructive comments are more than welcome to me as it can only lead me to improve.

Much better in my opinion than just saying, great image well done.

Ok well you both have a point.

First the Maltese Cross's phenomenon. Partly due to focus being slightly off but in truth the Willaim Optics Megrez 110 doublet does show these artifacts on bright stars. At least mine does, other people have had this as well. Temperature seems to make a difference to how bad it gets, pinched optics is a possibility and an over tight objective lens cell could be the culprit. Not too bothered though as I kinda like the effect they create.

Streaking. Well that one is a mystery, over stretching may have made that worse. It was misty on the night and a lot of LP managed to get into the subs and I found it difficult to cope with to be honest.

And as for the image looking different under different monitors, it does indeed for me. Defects always look better on my laptop, I fall for this one all the time.

I rushed this one a bit in my terms anyway, last night I had to work, tonight also, sucks eh!

Well it is Christmas ans as my Dad would say you don't always get what you want

Cheers Fellas and if I manage a better result I will post it yet again to see what you think.

Dave

Streaks.

As it was overstretched, as usual firstly I took the exposure down by 0.6 then reduced the red channel a little as noise in the red channel was worse.

Then vertical banding noise reduction thanks to Noels Actions.

All done in Photoshop

Cheers

Dave

Archived