Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Definitive Lunar Atlas?

After a few weeks of general stargazing with my new scope I have found myself spending most of my time (when weather & location permit) observing the Moon. I'm looking to get myself a good quality Moon Atlas to help find my way around. Right now I've got little to no idea of what lunar features I'm looking at, despite spending many hours happily observing. :)

After a quick look I found a fairly large amount of books that seem to fit the bill but I thought it'd be best to get a bit of advice before I go and buy the wrong thing. So, baring in mind my knowledge of the moon is currently limited, is there a specific moon atlas that would suit my needs, or is one moon atals as good as the next? I want something which is going to be accessable but also as detailed as possible. Also, is there any other lunar literature you would recommened?

As always, thanks for any and all advice on the subject. :thumbright:

If you're after a book, the Moon Observor's Guide by Peter Grego and published by Phillips is excellent. Peter heads up the Lunar section of the SPA, so knows a bit about it!

You can get it in a box set with a very useful moon map and some photos of the various phases.

S&T's Moon Maps are excellent if you're just starting out. :)

regular

mirror image

They're not atlases but if all you want to do is find out what you're looking at, I recommend them very highly. I've had mine for about 3 years and am pleased with how well they hold up in the cold, too.. no brittleness or cracking.

Of course if you want THE lunar atlas, try to locate a copy of Antonin Rukl's "Atlas of the Moon". It's by far the most detailed atlas I know of.

Another recommendation for Antonin Rukl's "Atlas of the Moon". One if not The best lunar atlas going, another being the Hatfield Lunar atlas in its many guises.

Software wise VMA is fantastic and easy to use, another if You can still get it is Lunar Phase Pro by Gary Nugent a very handy and usefull app.

Thx for all the great replies. I've now downloaded a free moon map and think I've already managed to put a few names to some of the features I've been observing. I've ordered an S&T moon map as well so I've got something hands on for when I'm out observing. I'll probably get a copy of 'The Moon observers guide' as well, seems like it should give me a good starting place for developing. As for Antonin Rukl's 'Atlas of the Moon' that might have to wait a while. Seems like its definatley going to be a book that ends up in my collection, but it comes with a heafty price tag so it'll take a while for me to talk myself into shelling out for it. :)

Thx again for all the help. :thumbright:

This is also good for learnign about the moon, it is the lunar 100, see how many of the 100 you can spot.

http://www.spacegazer.com/Documents/Astronomy%20Projects/Lunar_100_sheets.pdf

and the map

http://www.spacegazer.com/Documents%5CAstronomy%20Projects%5CLunar_100_map.pdf

This will give me something to aim for while I'm learning.... Thx for the link, much appreciated. :thumbright:

Archived