IR Removal on Canon 300d

Callum1985

Hi all, 

I'm having an issue with finding out information on how to and the benefit of removing the IR filter on a Canon 300d. I have had great results over the years with this camera as unmodded and have now come across the many astrophotographers that are modding these.. I have done a bit of homework and found there is 2 types, 1 remove the filter and do not replace or 2 remove and replace with a piece of glass or another filter. I have no interest in using this camera for anything other than astrophotography and prime focus so can I just leave the filter off and not replace this? Also will I have any downside to using this once modded on something that isn't a nebula ie m31? Or will all images taken have an advantage over a unmodded one. Next question is the how to? I have seen on this forum a great how to for the 350d will this be the same as the 300d? 

Any advice/points or help is greatly appreciated 

Many thanks 

Callum

I have just finished.. Took my time and followed the guide and the camera still turns on so that's definitely a good sign.. Just waiting for a clear night now to see what results it brings.. Thank you again for the link 

• Like 2