Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pixinsight Subraction

Hi All,

I have been following a tutorial on LVA regarding sharpening and am stuck on subtracting one mask from another.

"the star mask image was subtracted from the range mask image to produce a new mask image that has only got the bright nebulosity visible"

Is this done using pixelmath so starmask - rangemask with give you the result. I have tried to look everywhere but an struggling.

Cheers,

6 minutes ago, spillage said:

Is this done using pixelmath so starmask - rangemask with give you the result. I have tried to look everywhere but an struggling.

Yep, you're right.  I've also worked through this one with a good result.  When you're subtracting, I believe you don't select "rescale result" (that's just for additive/multiplicative).  Just "Generate output" and Replace/New as required.

If you'd like some screenshots or further instructions, I can put those together this evening... or some experts will pipe up with more info shortly I'm sure!

Thanks for he advice Lee. I am still struggling a bit so screenshots would be great. I am slowly getting there but just need to remember what needs running first and what cannot be ran. I am used to using startools where you can do what you want when you want.

Hi @spillage I've got some steps here that are from a quick galaxy mock up, but I think they're mainly repeating the stuff in the LV tutorial.

So you'll have a star mask (maybe called star_mask) and a range mask (maybe called range_mask).  These could have been tweaked in all sorts of ways.  I've done a bit of work on the range mask and star mask to match the type and softness a little.  You might have more binarized versions that are just black or white (no softness) - these work too and have their advantages.  

The LV tutorial is excellent at building up good masks initially before doing the subtraction.

image.thumb.png.cd0fa82faa4d215586c2d2aa122c8e6c.png

I'll bring up PixelMath and fill in these fields:

image.png.f368c4a5fe3fb415e36d17dafc6b0d87.png

Then click the blue square in the bottom left and you'll get output like the following:

image.png.7b1e1b60fa60214a861943d8bcac46da.png

If you selected "Rescale result" when you use a subtraction it will be obvious something has gone wrong:

image.png.61b04f79d5849ac09374c313b5c41a47.png

For a galaxy I might get rid of all the stars around the target in a range mask then use the star removal part of this process to remove the stars that are tight around it and within. 

Remember, with PixInsight you've got a full History Explorer and can move back and forward through that as needed and quickly clone images.

Hope this helps and I've not way off in what you're looking for.