Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help with my image

Hi All - wondering is I can reach out for some help.

So I took this image the other night which I'm pretty pleased with but there are some artefacts across the image which I'm struggling to process out.

I've used GIMP to do several iterations of Levels adjustment, cropped out the vignetting and sharpened it but he artefacts remain.

Is it light pollution, can it be processed out?

More than happy for anyone to take a shot but would be grateful for any technical secrets you may have.

**Uploaded a  .png file so you can see it :)  (Thanks for the steer Bryan

Thanks in advance

Steve

M51ii stacked3003.png

M51ii stacked3003ii.png

Edited by Jarvo
  • Like 1

That is walking noise and I'm not sure if there is anything you can do about it in already recorded image. For next time - you should be dithering if you are guiding - that reduces walking noise.

I still don't quite understand why it happens - and not sure if anyone knows exactly. I suspect it has something to do with application of bias and/or read noise and the fact that there is slight drift of frames in that direction over the course of the session.

Thanks again Red Dwarf. You inspired me to take a look at how to reduce noise in GIMP. So I did several iterations of Despeckling and High pass sharpen and I've added the result.

Think its a lot better. Thanks again !