NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What Is This?

I got this 2 inch adapter thingy with my new Sky-Watcher Skyliner 200P yesterday, but I don't know what it's for. 

Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks... 

20200320_075026.jpg

20200320_075036.jpg

It is the 2 inch eyepiece adapter. You use it in place of (not as well as) the 1.25 inch eyepiece adapter when you want to use 2 inch eyepieces.

This one has faded to that colour due to exposure to sun light for a long period. Normally they are black.

8 minutes ago, John said:

It is the 2 inch eyepiece adapter. You use it in place of (not as well as) the 1.25 inch eyepiece adapter when you want to use 2 inch eyepieces.

This one has faded to that colour due to exposure to sun light for a long period. Normally they are black.

It is actually black, I put the flash on in this photo. 

Why would you need a 2 inch to 2 inch adaptor? 🤔  That feels counter intuitive.

20200320_095847.jpg

Edited by Guest

I was confused by this when I got my SW. It came with 1.25 inch eyepieces so I didn't need to use it. I think you can put a 2inch eyepiece directly into the focuser but when I eventually got a 2 inch eyepiece I discovered that I couldn't get focus like that. I needed this adapter to move the 2inch eyepiece further out so I could get focus.

If u take out the 1.25 adptor and put the a 2 inch ep its sitting low and may not focus so the adptor makes it sit highter up again.

Some scopes u dont need to use this but depends on how tall the focuser is and if that model has 2 inches of travel or 4 inch of travel

Sw model u need both adptors

Joejaguar 

Edited by joe aguiar

4 hours ago, woodblock said:

I was confused by this when I got my SW. It came with 1.25 inch eyepieces so I didn't need to use it. I think you can put a 2inch eyepiece directly into the focuser but when I eventually got a 2 inch eyepiece I discovered that I couldn't get focus like that. I needed this adapter to move the 2inch eyepiece further out so I could get focus.

I thought it may have been for a longer Barlow, rather than the short ones.  What you said now makes sense..

3 hours ago, joe aguiar said:

If u take out the 1.25 adptor and put the a 2 inch ep its sitting low and may not focus so the adptor makes it sit highter up again.

Some scopes u dont need to use this but depends on how tall the focuser is and if that model has 2 inches of travel or 4 inch of travel

Sw model u need both adptors

Joejaguar 

Again, thanks for the info...  The manual had no info on this part at all.  I had thought it was to accommodate long Barlows, so that they wouldn't collide with the secondary mirror.  I stand corrected.😉 

The manual is not really clear on how to use that adapter which is why some folks have got into difficulties by putting both the 1.25 inch and 2 inch adapters in the scope at the same time and then finding that 1.25 inch eyepieces will not come to focus.

Its a quirk that many Skywatcher scopes seem to have. Other brands come with a true 2 inch focuser drawtube that you just need to use a 1.25" adapter with which seems more sensible to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

Other brands come with a true 2 inch focuser drawtube that you just need to use a 1.25" adapter with which seems more sensible to me.

I've often wondered why Synta continues to offer this archaic style focuser in their Dobs when GSO and others offer more modern 2" focusers with 1.25" adapter inserts (and dual speed to boot).

GSO Dob focuser:

spacer.png

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure their eq versions and the flex tube have the better dual speed over the solid tube dobs.

My thinking is since those solid tube versions have been out for least 15 years they still come with the then single speed  Crawford focuser which was an upgraded to the b4 r&p focuser, keeping prices down 

joejaguar 

17 hours ago, joe aguiar said:

I'm pretty sure their eq versions and the flex tube have the better dual speed over the solid tube dobs.

My thinking is since those solid tube versions have been out for least 15 years they still come with the then single speed  Crawford focuser which was an upgraded to the b4 r&p focuser, keeping prices down 

joejaguar 

You might be right about the solid tube imaging versions, but the Flextube versions, even with SynScan, appear to have the old focuser:

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Louis D said:

You might be right about the solid tube imaging versions, but the Flextube versions, even with SynScan, appear to have the old focuser:

spacer.png

ok your kinda right i just looked its the 14 and 16" flex tube versions that have the dual speed the smaller single speed. I wonder if they changed them over the years. The quattro also have the dual speed and i think the other eq version thx for the correction

joe

Can you imagine if phones required you to open a terminal window, and then type in all of your commands at the command line as was common 30 years ago and is still common in Linux?  No one would buy them.  Yet Synta continues to sell scopes with clearly outdated focusers and people continue to buy them.  I'm guessing because the buyers just don't know any better.

3 hours ago, Louis D said:

Can you imagine if phones required you to open a terminal window, and then type in all of your commands at the command line as was common 30 years ago and is still common in Linux?  No one would buy them.  Yet Synta continues to sell scopes with clearly outdated focusers and people continue to buy them.  I'm guessing because the buyers just don't know any better.

The Synta focusers do work Louis. They are not the best but they do work. 

My 12 inch dob came with one of those GSO crayfords fitted to it. It was OK but nothing special either. I've replaced it with a Moonlite now.

I would like to see the two eyepiece adapter approach that Synta use changed though. That confuses so many folks judging by the number of questions we get on this on here.

I have just fitted this skywatcher dual speed focuser to my 200p - well 2 days ago but the sky has been so poor I have literally had a quick peak at Venus and that's all. I am hoping to get to grips with it tonight. I would have liked a steel track or moonlite but I decided on the skywatcher as I only really require it for the added bonus of fine focus.

Look forward to putting some miles it later.

hope everyone get our for some viewing 👍

• Like 1