NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Dobsonian Goto

Folks,

quick question, looking at getting a skywatcher dobsonian with goto but I also like just manually scanning the skies old school, can anyone confirm that you can use this type of scope without the sync scan and simply push it around the night sky, thanks

I believe this is the case. The other option - which I'm about to go and do - is to fit a digital setting circle like a Nexus DSC to the telescope. That doesn't get you automatic motion or tracking, but does make shoving the scope around easy.

• Like 1

I have the 10" collapsing model SkyWatcher Dobsonian with Goto.  You can easily use it as a straight Dobsonian and push it manually.  You can also, for moon-watching, manually find the moon and then turn it on and set it to Lunar tracking so you don't have to chase the moon.  The motors have clutches that override manually with little effort.  Of course, if you align the scope and then move it manually, you will have to align it again.

However, anything larger than a 10" would start to be a bit of a handful to operate manually.

Edited by JonCarleton
  • Like 1

I have the 200mm standard skywatcher dobsonian which I've fitted with Az setting circle and a digital inclinometer for Alt.  Using this in conjunction with skyeye to get real time tracking coordinates and I can find most things in a couple of mins.

the whole conversion cost under £40 and is far faster than my go to  Mak.  I've also added red LEDs, a concealed reading light and a hanger for my android tablet.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, leeseafish said:

I have the 200mm standard skywatcher dobsonian which I've fitted with Az setting circle and a digital inclinometer for Alt.  Using this in conjunction with skyeye to get real time tracking coordinates and I can find most things in a couple of mins.

the whole conversion cost under £40 and is far faster than my go to  Mak.  I've also added red LEDs, a concealed reading light and a hanger for my android tablet.

I've added a digital inclinometer and find that useful, need to add a setting circle, will probably save the goto money and just go bigger diameter 😂 cheers for the guidance!

• Like 1