NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Large O-rings for big newts

Random one here.

I've been after a third tube ring for my 250pds to enable easier ota rotation when mounted. Has anybody fitted a large o-ring (or two) to stop the ota from slipping through the rings when loosened?

260-280mm o-rings are cheap on Amazon but wondering if they actually grip the tube sufficiently. I'd rather not find out the hard way 😮

Many thanks

I fitted a 239-something o-ring to my 200p, but not to prevent slippage, rather to try to stiffen up the tube near the focuser, as collimation was changing as I changed altitude.

i wouldn’t worry about sufficient grip, I’d worry more about crushing or buckling the tube.

see pic below...

cheers, Magnus 

18A4FA46-A357-4396-BEE5-DBD07B842E51.jpeg

Edited by Captain Magenta
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Prador said:

Random one here.

I've been after a third tube ring for my 250pds to enable easier ota rotation when mounted. Has anybody fitted a large o-ring (or two) to stop the ota from slipping through the rings when loosened?

260-280mm o-rings are cheap on Amazon but wondering if they actually grip the tube sufficiently. I'd rather not find out the hard way 😮

Many thanks

If you're talking about rubber o rings, not sure... but they're cheap enough to try and find out! 

1 minute ago, CraigT82 said:

If you're talking about rubber o rings, not sure... but they're cheap enough to try and find out! 

Yep a big nitrile rubber ring around 260-270mm so a snug fit.

They're only a fiver so worth a shot. I would've got the tube ring on astroboot but the postage is too high.