NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Using APP files in PixInsight

As this question relates to two (rival?) software packages, I thought I would post the question in a neutral forum.

I have the Pixinsight 45 day trial and to save time and get into the post processing I thought I would use some LRGB FITS images previously calibrated, registered, normalised and stacked in APP.

I have successfully loaded these into PI, I have carried out the  registration, Dynamic crop, DBE and LinearFit operations on them, and saved them in the PI file format, no problem.

However, when I try and combine them with the Channel Combination tool, when I try to select the files with them loaded into the workspace for the relevant channel, the drop down list box displays 'no compatible Images'

I have seen posts where folks calibrate and stack in APP and then move to PI, so I'm assuming this can be done?

1 hour ago, tomato said:

I have seen posts where folks calibrate and stack in APP and then move to PI, so I'm assuming this can be done?

Indeed! I do this on a regular basis although having said that I always register the images in PI before doing anything else - I don't rely on any registration that may have taken place in APP. Following registration I use DynamicCrop to get rid of any edge effects and then use ABE/DBE, etc.

I have noticed that PI can be a bit fussy about using calibration files produced in APP. If I calibrate and stack in APP and then decide to repeat the process in PI, PI will complain about the master calibration files produced by APP, especially it seems the master flat; it will just give a warning say something along the lines of no compatible files found.

I did raise this on the PI forum but got into a lot of trouble for mentioning APP.

HTH

P.S. Just seen @Laurin Dave's response - +1

Edited by Adreneline
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies, I have found the problem. Somehow my files have been assigned an RGB colour space rather than monochrome, and PI understandably couldn’t combine them into a colour image. After reassigning the colour space to grey scale they combined no problem.

• Like 3