NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

rj45 to rj12 cable for Synscan

Hi everyone

Is there anyone out there that might have a wiring diagram to make a connector that goes from an rj45 connector ( to plug into Synscan hand controller ) to an rj12 connector ( to plug into HEQ5 heavy duty mount>

NOTE Thanks everyone for your responses... Here are pics of the end of my Synscan hand controller ( rj45 connector)   and the connector to the mount  ( does not have an rj45 port only an rj12 port  ( does not have an autoguider port)   hence my dilemma...but I thing Geoff's reply may do the trick!

Thanks

Gary

20200302_194203_resized.jpg

20200302_194448_resized.jpg

Edited by pilotastronomer
added pics

Hmmm

The RJ45 port on the Synscan handcontroller connects to the RJ45 port on the mount........

The RJ12 port on the mount is for the ST-4 guide camera connection....

What were you hoping to achieve??

5 hours ago, pilotastronomer said:

Hi everyone

Is there anyone out there that might have a wiring diagram to make a connector that goes from an rj45 connector ( to plug into Synscan hand controller ) to an rj12 connector ( to plug into HEQ5 heavy duty mount>

Thanks

Gary

The handset to mount cable is RJ45 to RJ45 and is a standard cat5 or cat6 ethernet cable.

Hello Gary,

This is my Skymax V3 Synscan handset (RJ45) to mount (RJ12) cable, annotated with colours.

1588657600_V3HandsettoMountCable.jpg.f1b15b5ff7748cb47bae00bf36cd585f.jpg

The cable is the same for my Skyliner mount. Both are Az/Alt, so it is possible that the white core has some function on an EQ mount.

EDIT:- I have just done some background research, and I think Peter is right (HEQ5 uses RJ45 to RJ45).

Geoff

Edited by Geoff Lister

On 04/03/2020 at 03:26, pilotastronomer said:

Hi everyone

NOTE Thanks everyone for your responses... Here are pics of the end of my Synscan hand controller ( rj45 connector)   and the connector to the mount  ( does not have an rj45 port only an rj12 port  ( does not have an autoguider port)   hence my dilemma...but I thing Geoff's reply may do the trick!

Thanks

Gary

20200302_194203_resized.jpg

20200302_194448_resized.jpg

The problem is that you are trying to use a Synscan handset on a mount that was not designed for it. The old black HEQ5 is not compatible with the newer Synscan unit. Had we known what you were trying to achieve the answer would have been "don't do it".

@pilotastronomer There will be three possible outcomes.

1. The wiring between the handset and the mount is incompatible and the handset might receive -12v instead of +12v and the handset gets fried.
2. The mount and handset are incompatible and nothing happens.
3. Linked to item 2 above. The mount and handset are incompatible. Assuming item 1 doesn't occur, the handset will interogate the mount's motor control board to find out what type of goto mount it is connected to. The mount doen't recognize the mcb and gives the error message "MOUNT NOT FOUND STAND ALONE MODE"

11 minutes ago, pilotastronomer said:

Hi Again everyone.....well based on all your recommendations...I am NOT going to modify the hand controller wiring....going to see if anyone has the correct hand controller for it and go from there

Thanks again!

Gary

That would be the best option.

• 2 months later...

Hi I am having exactly the same problem brought a synscan Hand controller thinking it would just plug in, but No! Then I try and research the HEQ5 Heavy Duty Mount, Its as if it didn't exist! Cant even find any reference to it, even the resellers are unaware!  Does anyone know what handset I can use and what was your outcome Gary?

3 hours ago, andylawes said:

Hi I am having exactly the same problem brought a synscan Hand controller thinking it would just plug in, but No! Then I try and research the HEQ5 Heavy Duty Mount, Its as if it didn't exist! Cant even find any reference to it, even the resellers are unaware!  Does anyone know what handset I can use and what was your outcome Gary?

The HEQ6 heavy duty mount precdates the HEQ5 Pro Synscan mount. It has integrated dual axis motors but no goto or autoguiding ST4 port. The only handset that is compatible with the old mount is the original handset. As an alternative, you can upgrade the mount to full goto using the HEQ5 Pro upgrade kit. 

And your original thread on the subject