NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Great night last night - NOT

PeterCPC

First clear night for ages. Got set up fine then:

First my red light torch packed up - new battery - nope it's dead.

Second my powered hub burned out.

Third and worst of all, my ASI385 would not work. Red light on but camera not found by Sharpcap, APT or ASICap. It's dead after owning it for less than a year. Does not show in device manager. Tried all the usual things like new cables, different USB port, reinstall drivers and even another computer. It's really dead.

I feel really down and feel like giving up entirely.

End of moan.

Peter

• Sad 1

Argh, these kind of nights are sent to us by the Sky Gods to test who is serious and suitable to receive good data in the future! Don’t lose heart. Try out the camera again today indoors having restarted everything - you will probably find it is a small silly issue and all is fine. Losing out on a rare clear sky is the most frustrating thing though. Good luck. 

4 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

Argh, these kind of nights are sent to us by the Sky Gods to test who is serious and suitable to receive good data in the future! Don’t lose heart. Try out the camera again today indoors having restarted everything - you will probably find it is a small silly issue and all is fine. Losing out on a rare clear sky is the most frustrating thing though. Good luck. 

Tried again with differing USB, cables and even computer - it's dead.

Peter

4 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

Tried again with differing USB, cables and even computer - it's dead.

It's possible that it has had some moisture ingress. Try drying it out for a couple of days, prefereably in some silica gel or uncooked rice.

Do you feel confident opening it up to check for any electronic failure (blown components)?

Also, check that the usb socket is still intact, they do break.

2 minutes ago, Jonk said:

It's possible that it has had some moisture ingress. Try drying it out for a couple of days, prefereably in some silica gel or uncooked rice.

Do you feel confident opening it up to check for any electronic failure (blown components)?

Also, check that the usb socket is still intact, they do break.

It wasn't outside long enough for moisture ingress. It's less than a year old so I'm talking to the supplier. USB sockets are ok.

Peter