NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Degrees of Separation

During an observation session recently I viewed a number of double and triple stars  

I realized that I had no way of recording the separation between stars, particularly when changing magnification. Anyone use an accurate method of measuring the separation???

16 hours ago, vlaiv said:

Yeh, I have looked at them in the past but they are an expensive solution!!!......however I do need a new illuminated eyepiece for star alignment.....

7 minutes ago, Jiggy 67 said:

Yeh, I have looked at them in the past but they are an expensive solution!!!......however I do need a new illuminated eyepiece for star alignment.....

Yes they are - way more expensive than I would imagine for a simple eyepiece.

Maybe DIY option then?

You really only need some sort of reticle with steps to be able to measure distance - you'll need to calibrate it anyways, so maybe solution would be a glass blank with engraving? You only need to place it at focal plane of eyepiece and field stop should help there. I wonder how much does it cost to have a piece of glass precision engraved?

10 minutes ago, Jiggy 67 said:

On the other hand - there could be relatively cheap solution compared to this eyepiece but it does require use of computers (so if you don't already have a lap top - it's not cheap at all) -

cheap second hand guide camera like ASI120 - and doing imaging / measurement from images?

• Like 1