NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M51 - making a start

Tim

Like Martin, I plan to add data to this one as winter progresses. It's an ideal target to finish a night with, as you can grab some kip without worrying too much about what the mount is doing. Plus it's one of the Mrs' favourite DSO's so I have to try at least! :(

This is around 2 hours 30 mins of 600 sec subs. C9.25 @ f6.3 with QHY8 with CLS filter. The main point was to test an off axis guiding setup, which seems to have worked very well indeed, normally I would not have bothered trying to image on a night with such bad visibility and seeing, but at least some data came through.

The target is pretty small on the qhy8, so I used 2x drizzle in the stacking (DSS).

I'm very pleased with the result in respect of 600 secs subs without a guidescope! And not a single beep from PHD about losing the guidestar, even with patchy clouds.

TJ

11101_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Nice image and good luck with the project, youve started at the right time.

I was going to do this last season but left it a little too late, (feb) so only managed one session. But seeing this has reminded me to have a go again.

Archived