NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sky-Watcher AZ GTI WiFi mount operating range

Hello everyone & good morning. I just wondered if anyone had experience with the  Sky-Watcher az gti WiFi mount? More specifically  I’d like to know if it can be operated approx 3-4 metres away with a smartphone rather than standing right next to the scope in the traditional way? (This would be for EAA purposes with a laptop/camera setup).

Thanks in advance for any advice :).

Edited by Cabstarman

Yes, you can operate it both with laptop and smartphone.

There are a few ways of configuring it - it can create it's own access point and you can use smartphone or laptop to connect to it and then operate it or you can configure it to connect to already existing access point - and then you can use your device connected to same AP to operate the mount.

I'm not sure what the maximum distance is, but I suspect at least 10-20m with line of sight. I operated it at least 3-4 meters away via wifi connection.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Yes, you can operate it both with laptop and smartphone.

There are a few ways of configuring it - it can create it's own access point and you can use smartphone or laptop to connect to it and then operate it or you can configure it to connect to already existing access point - and then you can use your device connected to same AP to operate the mount.

I'm not sure what the maximum distance is, but I suspect at least 10-20m with line of sight. I operated it at least 3-4 meters away via wifi connection.

Thankyou kindly for your input Vlaiv 👍, that’s fantastic & all I needed to know before buying. 

Best wishes & clear skies :).

Yep i agree use it about 4 metres away. Also did the eq update which works fine and imaged a few bits to try out seemed to track well but need to align with polaris better. The counter weight was from a SW eq2 mount i got from astroboot for £10

If you update to eq then when using az mode the scope will need to be place onthe right of mount or at least my version does. 
great little mount for grab and go👍🤘

2C433C06-5DA3-43AC-8D39-B305BD2D67A2.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mark Daniels said:

Yep i agree use it about 4 metres away. Also did the eq update which works fine and imaged a few bits to try out seemed to track well but need to align with polaris better. The counter weight was from a SW eq2 mount i got from astroboot for £10

If you update to eq then when using az mode the scope will need to be place onthe right of mount or at least my version does. 
great little mount for grab and go👍🤘

2C433C06-5DA3-43AC-8D39-B305BD2D67A2.jpeg

Thanks for your input Mark, looks like you have a good little set up there. My reason for enquiring was for possibly getting the skymax 102 or 127 purely for lunar/planetary imaging. (I also have a short tube 80 for wide field stuff).

Do you feel the tripod to be adequately sturdy? Particularly with the pier extension in place?

2 hours ago, Cabstarman said:

Thanks for your input Mark, looks like you have a good little set up there. My reason for enquiring was for possibly getting the skymax 102 or 127 purely for lunar/planetary imaging. (I also have a short tube 80 for wide field stuff).

Do you feel the tripod to be adequately sturdy? Particularly with the pier extension in place?

I had my doubts about stability of that tripod, so I went for this instead :

eeva_setup.jpg

That one is rock stable (I had HEQ5 class tripod leftover from upgrade to berlebach planet and I decided not to go for regular tripod sold with AzGTI).

If you plan to get AzGTI combo with Skymax 102 - be careful. I went for OTA + mount separately as version of Skymax that comes bundled with AzGTI seems to be different - it lacks back side collimation screws for example.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cabstarman said:

I have the 127 and boight it as the package with mount and tripod. The tripod is well made and sturdy. It is light enough to carry in a shoulder bag.  
i went with that scope to look at planets as well. But because i live on the outskirts of london i needed something easy to transport and i certainly is a great grab and go. I would say though that the 127 is about the max i would use on the tripod. The tripod also makes an excellent base for an astrophotography set up. 
the extention pier is great IMHO . I bought a second one as i am putting a shed up to use the scopes , with a perminant pier which the skywatcher one will attach to so i can easily fix set up to it. 
i have been usingvthe 127 for 2 years now and for its size and price and convenience i cant complain at all.   

• Thanks 1

Thanks to you both for your insight into this interesting & exciting little mount. I’m torn between the 102 & the 127 mak, I do want to take the opportunity to image mars later in the year as it comes into opposition. I guess bigger is better as always however something tells me the 102 is more suited to the lightweight nature of the mount & aluminium tripod. 

Hmmmmm....decisions!

My AZ Gti handles my MAK 127 very easily.  I purchased the Bresser version for several reasons.  It has a full 127 aperture unlike the SW version and has a significantly better baffle system.  It is slightly more expensive but better for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Owmuchonomy said:

My AZ Gti handles my MAK 127 very easily.  I purchased the Bresser version for several reasons.  It has a full 127 aperture unlike the SW version and has a significantly better baffle system.  It is slightly more expensive but better for it.

Thanks, that’s interesting & good to know. Did your optical tube come supplied with a case/bag? Not sure if the Sky-Watcher does either.

1 hour ago, Cabstarman said:

Thanks, that’s interesting & good to know. Did your optical tube come supplied with a case/bag? Not sure if the Sky-Watcher does either.

No it didn't. I just keep it in the original box with the end supports.

• Thanks 1

In general, the WiFi signal is good for about 100 feet (30 meters) (+/-).  Steel structures, concrete walls and motors (such as in air conditioning units) can significantly reduce the range and reliability if between the WiFi hot-spot (telescope mount) and the client (computer/phone/tablet).

• Thanks 1