Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Strange diffraction pattern

skyrunner

I was imaging the Jellyfish nebula in Ha with my WO Megrez 72 refractor a few evenings ago and after stacking found this strange diffraction pattern around the very bright star in the frame. I've never seen this before in any of my previous images. Any ideas what might have caused it? Could it possibly be due to frost on my camera window - I'm using an ASI178MM cooled CMOS camera.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks

Gordon

star_diffraction.jpg

That has been seen a number of times with ASI1600 but never with ASI178 - at least not that I'm aware of.

If you can, try changing distance between components (presumably you do have filter and/or field flattener on that setup).

So another unusual phenomena last night. Imaging the Rosette Nebula in Ha my images appear covered in lots of 'dust bunny' type defects. But after I switched target to the Fishhead Nebula in a different part of the sky those images appear fine - see side by side images from same area of sensor after calibration and stacking. Also taking some flats this morning they all appear clean. The only thing I can think of is that the Rosette was quite close to the moon, probably about 20 degrees away. Perhaps this is also the microlensing phenomenon as a result of the high level of sky brightness close to the moon?

Gordon

Capture.JPG.d176030581ce45f64268367319ea92b8.JPG

Edited by skyrunner

47 minutes ago, skyrunner said:

So another unusual phenomena last night. Imaging the Rosette Nebula in Ha my images appear covered in lots of 'dust bunny' type defects. But after I switched target to the Fishhead Nebula in a different part of the sky those images appear fine - see side by side images from same area of sensor after calibration and stacking. Also taking some flats this morning they all appear clean. The only thing I can think of is that the Rosette was quite close to the moon, probably about 20 degrees away. Perhaps this is also the microlensing phenomenon as a result of the high level of sky brightness close to the moon?

Gordon

Capture.JPG.d176030581ce45f64268367319ea92b8.JPG

That looks like Newton's rings - but I have no idea of how they could have formed.

See here for details:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_rings

It is phenomena that sometimes creates issues for Ha solar imaging and tilting the sensor is solution for it. I wonder if Moon somehow gave enough light for those to develop (for some reason).

• 11 months later...