NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Redcat 51 or Canon 400 F/5.6?

PWS

Hi All,

Going to mount one of these on the skywatcher Adventurer but cant decide which one to go for.

Redcat 51 or Canon 400 F/5.6?

Any reason for and against them?

Cheers

Paul

Had Redcat and Canon 300 on the Star Adventurer not a 400mm it can do a couple of minutes reliably with the 300mm maybe a bit less with 400mm and smaller aperture may hinder it.

The weight shouldn't be a problem as I've used a Lunt LS60DS on mine.

There does however as with all mass produced equipment seem to be quite a variance in performance between Star Adventurers.

Dave

Two very different focal lengths.

Do you have any idea what camera will you be using and what is intended FOV? Do you already own either of them?

My personal choice for such small focal length would be something like this:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/william-optics/william-optics-2019-zenithstar-73-ii-apo.html

+

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p11122_Riccardi-0-75x-APO-Reducer-and-Flattener-with-M63x1-Thread.html

(provided that focuser on scope has M63 thread - and being 2.5" R&P - I would believe that to be the case. Also I would probably go for TS photoline 72mm scope over WO one).

5 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Two very different focal lengths.

Do you have any idea what camera will you be using and what is intended FOV? Do you already own either of them?

My personal choice for such small focal length would be something like this:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/william-optics/william-optics-2019-zenithstar-73-ii-apo.html

+

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p11122_Riccardi-0-75x-APO-Reducer-and-Flattener-with-M63x1-Thread.html

(provided that focuser on scope has M63 thread - and being 2.5" R&P - I would believe that to be the case. Also I would probably go for TS photoline 72mm scope over WO one).

Hi
Sorry I should have mentioned the camera. Modder Canon 40D.

I don't own either of them so was looking for pros and cons.

Both are "lenses" and I'm happier there than with scopes :)

I have an explore scientific ED80 and a HEQ5 etc but never to  grips with it as it was too much too soon so that's why I have the adventure to leant with.
Also have the canon 100 - 400 ISii which I have had some success with on the advanture.

Cheers

Paul

4 minutes ago, PWS said:

Both are "lenses" and I'm happier there than with scopes

I honestly can't see the distinction :D, but I do understand that you have certain requirements. As I don't have experience with either, I can't help much except to point out that Canon lens is a bit on a heavy side to just hang of the camera body - you might want to look into some sort of bracing system - like rings and dovetail to support the lens.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TerryMcK said:

I would go with the redcat as it is a purpose built telescope. It can take 2" filters for instance.

Cheers Mate

I have enough lenses and the redcat has had excellent reviews and acts like a lens :)

Need to wait for them to arrive in the UK now

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Had Redcat and Canon 300 on the Star Adventurer not a 400mm it can do a couple of minutes reliably with the 300mm maybe a bit less with 400mm and smaller aperture may hinder it.

The weight shouldn't be a problem as I've used a Lunt LS60DS on mine.

There does however as with all mass produced equipment seem to be quite a variance in performance between Star Adventurers.

Dave

Hi Dave

only used the adventurer once with the 100 - 400 and made a right mess of it all  lol

Then took it to dark frames to have it tweaked and only used it ones since them with a canon 200mm 2.8 and had to throw away 90% of my subs :)

How did you like the 300? was it the F/4? I had one for low flying jest and it was nice and sold it for the 100 400 ii. would consider another 300 F/4 but non IS are hard to find these days :(

11 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

... except to point out that Canon lens is a bit on a heavy side to just hang of the camera body - you might want to look into some sort of bracing system - like rings and dovetail to support the lens.

That lens come with its own tripod foot/ring I'm pretty sure

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

That lens come with its own tripod foot/ring I'm pretty sure

It does. All the stress is on there and the lens is built with that in mind :)

24 minutes ago, PWS said:

How did you like the 300? was it the F/4? I had one for low flying jest and it was nice and sold it for the 100 400 ii. would consider another 300 F/4 but non IS are hard to find these days

Mines the IS version though it's switched off for astro, it works nicely on the SWSA zoom lenses can be a bit of a pain with them slipping and needing focusing after zoom adjustment, not used the Redcat a great deal but IIRC the Canon 300 f/4 produced better star colours than the Redcat, I've also got a WOZ61 which is nice but needs the expensive add on flattener for imaging.

Was messing around yesterday trying to fit the ATIK4000OSC on the Redcat, big pixels, just an experiment but it took so long to get the spacing right I didn't actually image anything 😂

Dave

Atik4000OSC-RedCat-2.png.63b73c883f8cff916b50d643e5facc68.png

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Mines the IS version though it's switched off for astro, it works nicely on the SWSA zoom lenses can be a bit of a pain with them slipping and needing focusing after zoom adjustment, not used the Redcat a great deal but IIRC the Canon 300 f/4 produced better star colours than the Redcat, I've also got a WOZ61 which is nice but needs the expensive add on flattener for imaging.

Was messing around yesterday trying to fit the ATIK4000OSC on the Redcat, big pixels, just an experiment but it took so long to get the spacing right I didn't actually image anything 😂

Dave

Atik4000OSC-RedCat-2.png.63b73c883f8cff916b50d643e5facc68.png

I wish I never sold the 300 F/4 now.

I think i'll just the a used IS version as I'll find other uses for it  :)

Thanks for the comment on the stars with the 300 over the redcat...made my decision :)