Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

edge sealing strip for ROR observatory

fifeskies

I am almost finished my ROR shed and was looking for a good way to seal where the roof closes against the main structure.

Brush door strips and the usual door seals were not up to the job, mainly because they were not that deep to make sure wind didn't blow rain back up under the edge.

I did however find the perfect solution , it is garage door seals.

Very soft 75mm deep rubber held in aluminium holder that screws to the trailing edge.

Not fitted yet and I will add a video once it is but it neatly closes over the join.

The rubber is continuous and the aluminium holder in 1 metre lengths that just match up together for whatever width you require.

I got it from a well known auction site , search for   IMPERIAL ALUMINIUM & RUBBER SEAL DRAUGHT EXCLUDER

edge seal.jpg

20200129_100718crop.jpg

Edited by fifeskies
add photo
  • Like 1

Just checking the fit.

I have an angled roof over the warm room that the ROR roof rolls over , you can see the roof track in the photo , the excellent Brundle gear.

Of course when I fit it the strip will go right up to the edge (ie closer to the camera) , just held it along a bit to give a good view of how it will work.

Those are PVC "fake" slates on the warm room roof , lightweight and so easy to use , cut to shape with a craft knife.

20200129_104525crop.jpg

• Like 1

Looks a good solution.

I used a similar approach for the warm room side of the ROR, which I made out of left over EPDM membrane. Works great. I did the same for the opposite end of the roof. Lots of pictures in my build thread (which I've just resurrected!).

Kev

Looks good. For the sides where you need more compression we use brush strips around our air conditioning pods/cold aisles at work to keep the cold air from leaking out around doors etc - they're very low friction and deform easily enough but are good at minimising airflow. I imagine they'd keep flies and other lightweight wildlife out, though not mice etc.