Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fixed Pier - polar alignment question

AntHart

Hi,

I’m thinking of building or installing a fixed pier in my garden.

im new to imaging so please forgive me if this is a dumb question...I’ve read mixed info online so thought I’d just ask the question :)

If I’m building a pier and leaving the mount fixed to it  (just remove scope and cables) Do I need to polar align just once and I’m done?

If this is true the fixed pier is a definite go! Polar alignment is such a faff!, even 10-20mins each time eats away at imaging time especially here in the UK.

If a pier is just more of a solid base and polar alignment still needs doing each time then I’m also interested in getting an ipolar or similar to help.

ill be controlling via a laptop for imaging and guiding anyway ...plus I don’t trust the polar scope on my old EQ6 pro!

Like I say, apologies if this is a really basic question! I’m totally new to imaging but doing my best to learn :)

cheers!

Ant

Hi there

In my last house I installed a fixed pier made from 4 fence posts bolted together and only ever polar aligned either after removing the mount for maintenance or once every 6 months or so just to check that all was still solid.

Am planning on installing an Altair Astro pier in my new garden at some point in the near future and will be doing the same again when it comes to Polar Alignment.  Will be done when I do the first install and done to a high degree of accuracy and then as a check every 6 months or so, or if I start to get some weird readings from guiding or my images start to look a little ropey.

As you say, time spent not PAing is a bonus here in the UK.  I did invest in a the QHY Pole Master which has proven invaluable with my temporary setup, but was also a bonus for when operating of the fixed pier as it allows the accuracy to be checked (and adjusted if needed) very quickly indeed.

• Thanks 1

I have built a couple of piers and found them to be very beneficial. I used 6” brown underground drain pipe sunk in a 1x1 M concrete base. In the tube I used rebar and filled it with concrete. I made a wooden forma which held long threaded bar for bolting the top plate. The lower half of the bar was pushed into the wet pipe concrete until the forma was flat on the tube top. 

I would suggest a good waterproof/breathable cover for your mount once fitted would also be important.

• Thanks 1

You might want to consider some power and USB connectivity to your pier. Here are some images of one of my piers with 12v power and Extended active USB cabling. 

This system enabled me to fit the scope setup with fixed cabling to the pier services and I was ready to image. You could also run your system from a warm room in winter or locally with a laptop using just the 12v service.

I hope this helps in your considerations.

B8E86248-2168-43E8-A254-2DFF12ED468D.jpeg

Edited by Xsubmariner
Security of site
  • Thanks 1