Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M31 HaLRGB-Reprocessed

Rodd

13 hours ago, alan potts said:

Do like the core on these shots of yours you have managed a very nice translucency to it.

19 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

However, I admire the hell out of this rendition.

Here is a final core reduction.  Core structures are starting to be revealed.  reudcing core without ruining the image is very tricky.  Too dim and it looks unnatural.  Perhaps I should go further?

Image21-j2-core.thumb.jpg.b808289dbeeefa3ff67b38af6900fef7.jpg

8 hours ago, Rodd said:

Here is a final core reduction.  Core structures are starting to be revealed.  reudcing core without ruining the image is very tricky.  Too dim and it looks unnatural.  Perhaps I should go further?

Image21-j2-core.thumb.jpg.b808289dbeeefa3ff67b38af6900fef7.jpg

I don't think the problem is reducing the core. It's extracting the contrasts from it which will find new structure.  Just dimming the whole core region will leave the contrasts as they are and introduce the over-controlled, unnatural look. In my version I was obsessed by tracing spiral and other structure as far into the core as I could, which I succeeded in doing by means of pure thuggery, and found my core details were similar to RBA's, which was reassuring. However, there is no way that I can see of going about this without moving away from the natural 'look' of your version, which is its charm. I don't think you can have both forced core details and the look you've achieved here. I'd leave well alone. Great job on the background. Given the need to reveal the very faint outer glow I don't think it's way too dark. 

You won't like this but panels above and below would perfect this excellent M31 by letting it sit comfortably, in its entirety, in the frame. (Runs for cover!!!)

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice

3 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

I don't think the problem is reducing the core. It's extracting the contrasts from it which will find new structure.  Just dimming the whole core region will leave the contrasts as they are and introduce the over-controlled,

Thanks Olly--I think you are correct about the core, at least with my skills.  Panels would be nice....if I had the sky time I might consider it!

Rodd

While I haven't pounded the core too much--I have worked on the inner disc, without touching the prominant dust lanes as I did not want to darken them.  Just some of the fainter dust structures around the core have been lifted (or dropped as it were.  A touch (1/2 pinch) of star control, and a final dash (barely a sprinlke) of fine cale sharpening.  

Image21-j2-core8b.thumb.jpg.15f08a7b44da1a12aa59203c5393c067.jpg