NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How effective is the Takahashi focal reducer with the 106ed?

I made a mistake when I bought the Takahashi focal extender for my 106ed as am no longer interested in increasing my focal length.  I don't want to make another expensive mistake but would like to do some wider field imaging and am wondering whether anyone knows if the Takahashi reducer works well before I shell out even more money?

Annie

Edited by oldannie

For me the 0.73x worked very well - I really liked it (Still do but have not used it on the 106ED for a while now). The extender also worked OK but the conditions really need to be excellent for the extender....as does your tracking.

Either one requires that the back focus is spot on - the 3rd diagram on this page might help:  http://www.kinchastro.com/connection-diagrams---hardware.html

The other thing to check is how much your imaging changes - the field of view and the ArcSec/Pix. (CCDCalc is good for this). If you like what you see in that regard - then go for it......I think it is a good piece of kit that will give variation in your final images.

Thanks Joe and thanks Kinch.  Have looked at the link  and note the need for precise back focus.  Haven't yet looked to see how my imaging will be affected but will do and as you say it could give me a nice option.  

Annie

I regret buying mine... It gives larger FOV, but you will have live with a lot of drawbacks...

1. Corrected field is smaller than advertised. 

2. If you are planing to use it with CAA you need to buy the adapter that will put the reducer into the CAA.

3. They are prone to tilt, you will need to constantly make sure that the screws are tight.

4. As @ollypenrice stated you are going to need a very good motorised focuser - the focus drift is much more significant with the reducer.

• Like 1

My personal experience of imaging is that anything faster than F5 starts moving into more trouble than its worth territory. But I suppose if you are going to go that way I think that scope and reducer are as good or better a solution than any. 

Edited by Adam J