NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Fix Up Or Abandon?

it all depends how much you are into the hobby I guess and what you plan to be observing and budget you're thinking of. 

I started not so long ago with scopes and went the used route but mainly looked for TAL since they've a good reputation for being solid build and good performers. Been happy with the ones I've collected so far, tho I do have a skywatcher 130 on EQ2 with RA drive that I got for a bargain price too. Things to bear in mind will be that a kit bought new may still need upgrading, better eyepieces and maybe finder. Mount perhaps also. In which case you're adding extra/future costs.

I'd suggest that adding some better EPs and barlow for the scope you have isn't a bad investment as they're 1.25 inch std type and could then be used on another scope if you do upgrade later. A red dot finder isn't expensive either. If you keep a lookout you might be able to pick up a better tripod and EQ5 mount for reasonable money and can always add RA/dual-axis or even SynScan to that if you wish to later on. Then to upgrade you'd only need an OTA and tube rings and use that mount and accessories you already own.

should also add...

what's the condition of the scope?

If the mirrors are good and the controls all work fine, a DIY overhaul of the moving bits and some minor tuning may be all it really needs. Cosmetics like paint aren't that important and could always be re-touched/repainted. So long as all the bits are there and undamaged and the mirrors are good then it may serve you well for some time 🙂 

There's an EQ2 mount or just the tripod on Astroboot.

If you aren't going the recondition, refit, rebuild route and are thinking of spending in excess of £200 for a mount, then I might reconsider.

One of these would only be a bit more, or stump up a bit more and go for the bigger 200p Dob!

I'd be tempted to have a go at the 114 myself. :)

The original scope is in good condition and we've bought some recent extras, like a new Meade Plossl 15mm EP, a Meade moon filter. Just need some decent viewing weather now.