Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I cant focus my telescope because the rail of the eyepiece is malfuctioning

Hi, iam getting started at stargazing and I have got a small refractor telescope but I cant get it to focus on anything because it is stuck, when I spin the wells on the side of the telescope, the eyepice used to go back and forth, but now it looks like it is stuck. Can anyone help me?

5 hours ago, Pietro Quinzani said:

Hi, iam getting started at stargazing and I have got a small refractor telescope but I cant get it to focus on anything because it is stuck, when I spin the wells on the side of the telescope, the eyepice used to go back and forth, but now it looks like it is stuck. Can anyone help me?

In order to help you, we'll need to know the brand and model of your refractor.  That is found on the spec-label adhered to your telescope's tube or focusser, like this...

specs-labels.jpg.e5155a0e96eec6644163f637572d938c.jpg

An image of the refractor would also help tremendously.  In the meantime, whilst we wait for your reply, here is an image of one of the focussers from one of my refractors, and it's a small refractor, too, but quite long in length...

1668645817_1.25-inchfocusser8.jpg.62cb984aab0a91ecb18efd81bc958299.jpg

You may need to remove the focusser from the telescope's tube, and to inspect and repair it properly.  It's usually only three screws that hold the focusser onto the tube.

Here's what a focusser looks like on the inside...

971234063_rackpinionlube.jpg.a4e532c39391b0abe22683774bc7e47c.jpg

It would help to remove the old grease, depending on its age, and apply fresh grease onto the rack of the drawtube, shown at far-right, and onto the pinion-gear of the knob-assembly which meshes with the rack, shown at far-left.

Edited by Alan64