NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M81 & M82

Miguel1983

13 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Nice! You're getting there. The extra data really lifts the image. I think you can safely darken the background a little to give the galaxies a little more punch.

Also, when doing noise reduction (which, btw, you may not need with 8 hrs lum data), consider using a mask that has the background at 50%. This will leave some noise, but at the same time also the natural variation as a texture.

What is your sky darkness? At 23 hrs captured, you may have ifn in the background. 

Actualy i lightend the background in the end with a mask on the galaxies, i thought it was too black.

If by my darkness you mean the Bortlescale in my backyard, that's Bortle 5.

I think i used 10 different masks, it's hard to find the right combo.

• Like 1

I took the liberty of downloading your original L image and your final colour image. I then combined the two in PixInsight. Never mind the colours, this kind of combination should be done with original data, and not with lossy jpegs.

It seems to me that your data has more to offer than what is in your final image. Even with just 3 hours of L, you have more of the jets of M82, and even some of the IFN that is surrounding these galaxies. There's also more structure in your original M82, which you should be able to keep with careful stretching and hdr processing.

M81M82_LHaRGB.thumb.jpg.7d1328bbad346f304d022d79ccb035da.jpg

Edited by wimvb

4 hours ago, wimvb said:

I took the liberty of downloading your original L image and your final colour image. I then combined the two in PixInsight. Never mind the colours, this kind of combination should be done with original data, and not with lossy jpegs.

It seems to me that your data has more to offer than what is in your final image. Even with just 3 hours of L, you have more of the jets of M82, and even some of the IFN that is surrounding these galaxies. There's also more structure in your original M82, which you should be able to keep with careful stretching and hdr processing.

I'm sure there's more to be done with the data, and i'm still not happy with the final image too, i see the mistakes i've made,  but keep in  mind i'm still a Pix-newbie 😅

I'll probably come up with another new version on some rainy day 🤫

• Like 1