NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A new bug...

ollypenrice

Software gremlins may eventually be our only defence against AI and The Terminator. Not theirs. Ours!

I have determined that the imaging learning curve is overhanging, covered in dark matter and completely without foot or handholds.
Every time you fall off you have to spend twice as much, as before, just to get back to where you last fell off.
Meanwhile, the experts not only started with several lifetimes of natural skills and sheer genius, but are pulling ahead at just above light speed. :cussing:

• Haha 1

But, despite all the above on those odd occasions it all goes right what a feeling it is to get an image of something so distant and so feint. It really does make all that  worth it, despite knowing at the back of your mind things WILL go wrong again at some stage 🙂 

Absolutely, those images make it all worthwhile.

Carole

@ollypenrice

I was completely wrong about Dusk, it's not like Artemis at all, just took a look at it, looks very clunky, not sure I would like it, but thought I might try it out on my desktop away from the mount without mucking up my imaging laptops.

You would think since it includes connection to non Atik guide cameras that they could have included dithering in it while the were writing new software!!!

Carole

Software testing was once part of my job, one of the most frustrating experiences of my career.

After weeks or even months of testing a bug would show up requiring a fix in just one line of code.

So I ask the S/W guy "So I only need to check the function of that piece of code?"

"Yes, just that. Nothing else was changed" he declares.

So I check it out. I notice there is a new dialog window in the GUI display. It concerned the operation of a 300mm butterfly valve with high vacuum on one side and full atmosphere on the other.

Nothing to do with the original bug.

The new dialog asks "Do you really want to open this valve?"

Definitely NOT!!!

I hit the NO tick box....

BOOM!! The valve opens ! Crikey! The whole factory shook as full atmosphere slammed into several cubic meters of vacuum chamber.

Heads turned with accusing looks. Honest guv, it wasn't me!

A further full SW debug was required over the next few weeks....We found many more newly installed bugs.

I realised that there is no such thing possible as fully bug free code no matter how long it is tested.

Don't be afraid of AI ! Human I is far more dangerous....

I liked BBC Basic. You knew where you were with that. It was great fun finding typos and errors in formulae and worked examples in optical, ray tracing, classical text books by the "Great Masters." And false starts in astro magazines where the writer changed the exotic glass and prescription between printed articles. On which glorious careers later depended. All done with countless, nested brackets. No matter how much you doubted your own software it always proved right in the end. Who needed OSLO when you had Basic? Now where's that smug smiley with the long white beard?

43 minutes ago, Rusted said:

Now where's that smug smiley with the long white beard?

🎅

2 hours ago, dobblob said:

realised that there is no such thing possible as fully bug free code no matter how long it is tested

When I learned coding (centuries ago) we were taught that you can't fully test a non-trivial program (kind of Rice's theorem). In other words: there can always be one more bug.

• Like 1

I was completely wrong about Dusk, it's not like Artemis at all, just took a look at it, looks very clunky, not sure I would like it, but thought I might try it out on my desktop away from the mount without mucking up my imaging laptops.

You would think since it includes connection to non Atik guide cameras that they could have included dithering in it while the were writing new software!!!

Well I downloaded Dusk onto my Desktop today (didn;t want to muck about with my imaging laptops, attached the camera and EFW.

Got it working:

Pluses:  

You can attach the camera and filterwheel as before, plus Guide camera, (even a non Atik one), and focusser if you have one.  

That's about the only plus I can see.

Minuses:

No method to dither (Original Artemis did not do that unless you had a later version with an Atik guide camera). Unless maybe you need to actually have the guide camera attached for this option to show up - I didn't attach it!!!)

No reticule that I could find, this is very useful for centering and alogning images to previous captures. 

No way of putting markers on the screen or downloading an old image to do so as you can in Artemis.

No way of examining downloaded file by stretching or putting in negative like you can in Artemis.

I tried all the icons but they only seemed to switch boxes on or off and once off you couldn't switch them on again.

Summary:  

Will I be using Dusk?  Definitely not, Far too many good things missing from original Artemis.

Carole 

Edited by carastro