Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another camera recommendation post.

Bobby1970

Currently I have a modded EOS450d that I have dabbled with some EEVA and also short exposure alt az imaging with my AzGti mount, using my Altair 72mm scope. 

Now, I have around £500 which i am considering spending on a camera. 

I was considering the ZWO 183C, like this:-

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-cameras/zwo-asi-183mc-usb-3-colour-camera.html

Would this be a good choice to use with my scope? I like the idea of the FOV this camera and scope combo will give me. But beyond that I don't know if there are better options for £500 or less. 

Would appreciate some advice. 

Many thanks

Unfortunately Bobby, that would not really be an upgrade to your modded 450D. To see any kind of benefit, you really need a Cooled camera. The cooled version of the 183MC is £200 more expensive, so you would be better off saving a bit more and going for that. There is a used one on UK Astro Buy/sell at the moment for £500, 

https://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=156790

He states its less than 12 months old, but he is the second owner ? Curious to know why though.

John

6 minutes ago, johngm said:

Unfortunately Bobby, that would not really be an upgrade to your modded 450D. To see any kind of benefit, you really need a Cooled camera. The cooled version of the 183MC is £200 more expensive, so you would be better off saving a bit more and going for that. There is a used one on UK Astro Buy/sell at the moment for £500, 

https://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=156790

He states its less than 12 months old, but he is the second owner ? Curious to know why though.

John

Thanks for the info John. 

I don't want to go just throwing money at something that's no improvement on my 450d. 

I just assumed that something like the 183 would be "more sensitive" than the 450d. But happy to be corrected. 

Thanks again. 

2 minutes ago, Bobby1970 said:

Thanks for the info John. 

I don't want to go just throwing money at something that's no improvement on my 450d. 

I just assumed that something like the 183 would be "more sensitive" than the 450d. But happy to be corrected. 

Thanks again. 

Not something that is easily asserted - as it will depend on scope used and what will be it's primary use case (DSO imaging or EEVA)

In any case, I also vote for cooled version of any camera over all other (even for EEVA).