Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron Powerseeker 76AZ

my daughter bought this telescope for my 11 year old grandson.  they are trying to look at the stars and sky and she says they can't see anything through the lense.  I am not with them so I'm not sure what they are doing.  She said you can see through the finderscope but not through the lense??????  Can anybody advise?   :-) thx

there can be several reasons

from that size iam guessing its a reflector 3" diamter maybe f/8? is that correct?

also they have to align the finderscope to the main scope and in the daytime is good then in the night time on any star u can get the alignment a bit better .Ok so in the daytime find a faraway hydro pole/chimmeny/ or street light and look at the tip or a corner. it can be 400 or 500 meteres away doesnt have to be kms away. Get the image in the scope it may take a min then slowly get the finderscope as close to the image as the main scope. ALSO only use the low power ep like a 25mm ep or whatever they got with it. in the night then use the finderscope to look at a star and put that star in the middle of the mainscope view then again ajust the finderscope so both views have that star in the middle of the ep .

ok next alot people get the ep wrong. first u use the highest number first which is the lowest power (most think its the other way around). put the object in the middle of the view and focus untill it clear. lets say you got a 25mm ep a 12.5 mm ep and a 6mm ep ( iam guessing but this will let you know tho)Then use the next ep 12mm then the 6mm ep.

Ok now the hightest power ep if its a 6mm or a 4mm ep ( i dont know cause u need to tell what they have etc maybe even few pics) may be too high of power so u may not be able to use it and if it comes with a bralow and erect image ep dont even use them. The manufacture give alot these items with many starter scope so the telescope looks like it comes with alot items BUT they are normall low quailty items that are no good.

so im thinking only the lowest power and the medium power is the only ones you can use.

normally in this size too hopfully its not 0.965" size ep (normally its Hygens ep) if it has a H20/H12.5/H4 or SR 4mm these are no good at all, if so you will be very limited on what you can do or use on that scope. BUT if its 1/25" focuser and 1.25" ep thats better BUT alot times they still gives Hugens ep in theis size. Its better then the 0.965 ones BUT just by a little bit. On the good side its much easier to replace these eps cause you dont have to change the focuser or diagonal.

These low quailty ep have a field of view (fov) of 20 degree to max 25 degrees. where a good plossl will have a 50 degree fov and of course be a better ep too.in these entry level scope most comes with cheap accessiors which have to be upgraded in order to see anything except the moon .

so try those things first and if you can ask them to take few pics of the scope and the eps and send them to u and then post it here so we can see whats going on to help you better

joejaguar