Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

chiltonstar

Attaching a Nikon lens to a ZWO camera

I've been tempted to buy one of the adaptors that ZWO produce* (eg  https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-accessories/zwo-nikon-t2-adapter-suitable-for-all-asi-cameras.html, ) but notice a number of reviews eg on CN that point to difficulties in removing these from the lens once fitted. Manufacturing tolerances seem to be blamed. Has anyone any experience of these adaptors to confirm or not the tolerance issue?

Many thanks!

Chris

* to use my range of Nikon lenses for imaging and guiding

Edited by chiltonstar

I have one although not used it more than a handful of times, and yes I have found it difficult to remove. The solution I found was to unscrew the adapter with the lens attached and then take the lens off somewhere warm. The button to release the locking pin looks more substantial on the website image than on mine so that may help.  Also I've suffered with tilt with a Samyang 135, although not with my slower Nikon lenses even though the Samyang is fine on my D750.

Dave

• Like 1

I've heard complaints about that adapter, the locking pin breaking and the lens being stuck in the adapter... Probably not the safest option for Nikon/Canon lenses.

The consensus seems to be that the Geoptik adapter (and the TS Optics variant, that only exists for Canon for some reason) are a much better bet. They're twice the price, but apparently much more solid. And they come with a foot for easy mounting.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p2837_Geoptik-Adaptor-for-Nikon-lenses-to-T2-for-CCD-cameras---w--1-4--thread.html

Other than that, my ZWO adapter works well so far! I just hope it won't break at some point... 😕 

• Like 1