SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Attaching a Nikon lens to a ZWO camera

chiltonstar

I've been tempted to buy one of the adaptors that ZWO produce* (eg  https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-accessories/zwo-nikon-t2-adapter-suitable-for-all-asi-cameras.html, ) but notice a number of reviews eg on CN that point to difficulties in removing these from the lens once fitted. Manufacturing tolerances seem to be blamed. Has anyone any experience of these adaptors to confirm or not the tolerance issue?

Many thanks!

Chris

* to use my range of Nikon lenses for imaging and guiding

Edited by chiltonstar

I have one although not used it more than a handful of times, and yes I have found it difficult to remove. The solution I found was to unscrew the adapter with the lens attached and then take the lens off somewhere warm. The button to release the locking pin looks more substantial on the website image than on mine so that may help.  Also I've suffered with tilt with a Samyang 135, although not with my slower Nikon lenses even though the Samyang is fine on my D750.

Dave

• Like 1

I've heard complaints about that adapter, the locking pin breaking and the lens being stuck in the adapter... Probably not the safest option for Nikon/Canon lenses.

The consensus seems to be that the Geoptik adapter (and the TS Optics variant, that only exists for Canon for some reason) are a much better bet. They're twice the price, but apparently much more solid. And they come with a foot for easy mounting.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p2837_Geoptik-Adaptor-for-Nikon-lenses-to-T2-for-CCD-cameras---w--1-4--thread.html

Other than that, my ZWO adapter works well so far! I just hope it won't break at some point... 😕 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
13 hours ago, apolkowski said:

Hello, @chiltonstar, did you finally purchase any of these Nikon - CCD camera adapters? If yes, how do you set F stop on the lens? I got ZWO one and I realised, that all my lenses stay at F22 while disconnected from Nikon camera.

I bought the ZWO one. It works well with some manual lenses I have, but I've not tried it yet on more modern lenses. It is stiff on some lenses, but not on others.

It works well with a Nikon 50mm f2.8 manual lens I have, but also on a modern autofocus Tamron f2.8 90mm macro lens (the lens I wanted to use it on). The aperture stop works normally on both these lenses (you need to move it off the auto f22 position on the Tamron). It is a bit stiff on a 300mm f4 nikon lens I have, so I've not really tried it on this.

Chris

Edited by chiltonstar
  • Like 1

On 15/10/2020 at 00:27, chiltonstar said:

I bought the ZWO one. It works well with some manual lenses I have, but I've not tried it yet on more modern lenses. It is stiff on some lenses, but not on others.

It works well with a Nikon 50mm f2.8 manual lens I have, but also on a modern autofocus Tamron f2.8 90mm macro lens (the lens I wanted to use it on). The aperture stop works normally on both these lenses (you need to move it off the auto f22 position on the Tamron). It is a bit stiff on a 300mm f4 nikon lens I have, so I've not really tried it on this.

Chris

Thanks Chris, how do you move aperture off the auto f22 position on Tamron lens?

regards, Andrzej

44 minutes ago, apolkowski said:

Thanks Chris, how do you move aperture off the auto f22 position on Tamron lens?

regards, Andrzej

On mine, there is a tiny black button on the ring, 30mm to the left of the f22 position - push it in and the aperture ring will turn off the f22 position.

Chris

• Like 1