SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EQMod & AzGTi

JBracegirdle

Hi everyone,

EQMod says it now supports the Skywatcher AZ GTi, but with custom gear settings. I tried it with a virtual COM port driver and I can connect really well. The IP address an be found from the SynScan Pro app, and the settings are UDP port 11880. I'm happy that I can get it to connect, and use Stellarium to get it to move via Stellarium scope. I can move to a star near the pole and back to go back to the home position to park. All simulated indoors due to clouds.

But when I try to simulate moving a bit further I realised it's way off and ends up rotating all the way around. I'm guessing it's a gear ratio problem, the EQMod auto detect thinks it is a HEQ5/6 and I changed it to custom and setup the steps and worm steps.

Can anyone help?

1st off, the latest version of Stellarium doesn't require the use of StellariumScope, its all now 'built-in'. 

If it thinks its an HEQ5/6 than that presupposes an EQ mount, so you will need to tell the system that you are using an AZ mount, which shouldn't require gear ratio changes...

Thanks for your reply. I'm using a Skywatcher AZ GTe instead of an AZ GTi but would have thought it would work the same. It's been working with Synscan Pro in EQ mode for a year. I just thought now that EQMod supports the AZ GTi I may be able to setup without having to do a 3 star alignment and could use just EQMod and plate solving.

I've downloaded the beta version of Stellarium and used the built-in ASCOM connection. It's a great new feature.

I have my AZ GTe setup in EQ mode on a wedge, with the AZ/EQ firmware version 3.20.

I think this setup is still a bit experimental and not tried and tested yet.