NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Any thoughts about a good time of year to do astrophotography in La Palma?

sonnymoon

I’m planning a trip and have had a good look at a lot of the useful information on here but just wondering about thoughts on best time of year when it comes to weather and cloud cover ?

I know there’s the option of getting above the clouds which I will certainly do but it would also be good to image from wherever I am staying (haven’t got that far yet) on the west of the island.

Any thoughts / experiences will be appreciated 

Chris

Personally if I were in your shoes, I'd take advantage of some of the southerly summer constellations that are too low in the UK.  Although the nights are shorter in the summer in the UK, you'll find they are longer the nearer you get to the equator.

Carole 

I've been to a couple of the islands at different times of the year. I dont do imaging, so I just bring 10x50 bins. Amazingly, every time I go, it's clear and hot during the day, but nights just seem to be cloudy and very breezy.

Not much help I'm afraid. I'd aim for getting above the cloud as much as possible.

Heading to Lanzarote next year, at some stage. Most likely July.