Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

HEQ5 capacity on a permanent pier?

gazza

Hi,

a while since I have posted due to health issues (heart). Due to a weakened state I have sold off a lot of my gear (Mesu 200, 12" f5 newt Esprit 100, QHY9 etc) since I did not have the strength to use it - getting old really sucks. I kept my Heq5. I also have an 8" f5 dob fitted with an Argo Navis DSC. 

Unfortunately 😀 a friend offered me an Esprit 120 at a price so low I could not refuse it.  I have tried it on the HEQ5, and when well balanced it damps in a few seconds. Does anyone have any idea how much better the HEQ5 would be on a permanent pier (I have a 250mm diameter  x 10mm thick wall pier) I would love to keep the HEQ5 mount rather than spending money on an EQ6R.  Has anyone any experience as to how the mount would perform for imaging on the permanent pier with the Esprit 120? I guess experience with an an 8" f5 newt would be relatively similar as well. Please save me from spending more money.

cheers

Gary

I used mine with a 10Kg scope like the Espirit just fine.  That said, I was using OAG and a DSLR.   The HEQ5 is rated at 10-11kg for imaging so I think you are good to go.  At the upper limit, true, but it'll be OK I think.  I would not be loading it with guidesopes and massive cameras though.