NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

GoTo/Tracking mount advice

Last year Santa - having been well advised by SGL forum members - brought my eldest a C6N with AZ4 mount bought through the classifieds. We've both got some use out of it and have really enjoyed it, but there are a number of factors holding us back right now in getting the most out of it. Chiefly time - the clear nights rarely coincide with those nights that I'm free and that a late night doesn't affect school too much. I wanted to learn my way round the stars and a RACI has helped but TLaO has sat largely unused as viewing usually consists of dashing outside for 45 minutes, then using SkySafari to work out what might be visible in the garden (which thanks to the surroundings has a limited view.)

To make the most of the opportunites that do present I was thinking of getting some sort of GoTo/tracking mount. I've seen some recommendations on here but have struggled to keep up with the different types, and budgets seem to become pretty well astronomical. I don't have the luxury of spending too much but nor do I really know what the difference is, either in terms of features between absolute entry level and budget-med range options.

I'm looking at a second hand option and scour the classifieds but don't really know what I'm looking for or how much I need to spend. Is there a consensus around a budget mount that'll do what I need it to, or any pointers?

Hi

It would be useful to know what your 150mm f5 mirrored C6N telescope weighs.

Are you happy sticking with the ease of setting up a altaz mount but looking for a goto tracking based mount?

Even with goto you need to learn/look up the alignment stars, and depending on how limited your view is you'll need to look for a goto system that includes single star alignment I think.

Edited by happy-kat

The short answer is I'm happiest with whatever leads me to being set up and able to view most quickly; the idea of tracking for future astro use be a bonus.
I'm okay with finding stars I've looked at before so picking out alignment stars shouldn't be too much of an issue, and I've got good views in certain directions - but not all.

Weight wise - I don't know, I'll dig the scales out the afternoon and post back with it.

I bought a Skywatcher AZ GTi Wifi mount and after a few minor problems (mainly due to my inexperience) I find it relatively easy to set up and use. It uses an iPhone or Ipad to control it and so far it is performing very well and didn't cost the earth. Just be aware that the maximum weight for this mount is 5kg.

If you can see two opposing directions that helps as you should I think get a star in each direction offered. I struggle as whilst I have 170° N, NE and S have direct streetlights so I can see the stars to pick so the first I chose and the second star offered I just agree it's right and this is good enough to get me in the direction but whether the target is on frame of a low powered eyepiece is a guess.

Hauling an EQ-5 round, not to mention aligning it, might, would perhaps, be like dragging a block to Stonehenge, and there to rest under a full Moon.

An EQ3-class mount would lighten the load a bit; for example...

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-eq3-pro-synscan-goto.html

There may very well be used examples of that in the marketplace as well.

This would seem to be the ideal in your case...

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/sky-watcher-star-discovery-150i.html

The OTA of that kit is comprised of a good deal of plastic, and is therefore lighter; not as much strain upon the mount.  But I feel that the OTA isn't designed and constructed as well as the one you have at present.

1 hour ago, Alan64 said:

Hauling an EQ-5 round, not to mention aligning it, might, would perhaps, be like dragging a block to Stonehenge, and there to rest under a full Moon.

An EQ3-class mount would lighten the load a bit; for example...

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-eq3-pro-synscan-goto.html

There may very well be used examples of that in the marketplace as well.

This would seem to be the ideal in your case...

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/sky-watcher-star-discovery-150i.html

The OTA of that kit is comprised of a good deal of plastic, and is therefore lighter; not as much strain upon the mount.  But I feel that the OTA isn't designed and constructed as well as the one you have at present.

I'm not inclined to get a new OTA; I'm happy with the C6N, and would only consider it if it was a marginal increase in price over a mount alone. I think I can manage the weight okay (with a 5kg weight hanging underneath my OTA&AZ4 combo I'm carting out over 20kg in one hit) so I wouldn't let that sway me. But setup time obviously does, albeit only so far as it affects the overall amount of time viewing vs. finding.
Looking into it, my concern with the EQ3-Pro is capacity. I'm around 7.5kg visually and if I add a DSLR then that's going upwards; the EQ3-Pro has a visual 7kg payload and imaging of 5kg. So I think the EQ5 is still worth considering.

Thanks for the comments and advice, and helping me understand some of the compromises involved. It's a little overwhelming at first, but when boiled down there's really only a relatively small number of options that'll do what I need.

18 minutes ago, A_N_other_beginner said:

I'm not inclined to get a new OTA; I'm happy with the C6N, and would only consider it if it was a marginal increase in price over a mount alone. I think I can manage the weight okay (with a 5kg weight hanging underneath my OTA&AZ4 combo I'm carting out over 20kg in one hit) so I wouldn't let that sway me. But setup time obviously does, albeit only so far as it affects the overall amount of time viewing vs. finding.
Looking into it, my concern with the EQ3-Pro is capacity. I'm around 7.5kg visually and if I add a DSLR then that's going upwards; the EQ3-Pro has a visual 7kg payload and imaging of 5kg. So I think the EQ5 is still worth considering.

Thanks for the comments and advice, and helping me understand some of the compromises involved. It's a little overwhelming at first, but when boiled down there's really only a relatively small number of options that'll do what I need.

I've always held that the best EQ-3 is an EQ-5.  I have a Celestron CG-4(EQ-3), yet I've never used it, and not likely to ever.  The EQ-5 is the sweet-spot among equatorials; one mount for a myriad of different sizes and types of telescopes, and for whichever purpose.  As I understand, the C6N is capable of reaching focus with a camera.  You could go with a manual EQ-5 and motorise only the RA-axis, in the beginning.  I would suggest renovating the mount, whether new or used, prior to use for either visual or imaging, particularly for the latter.

Davehux has just posted an ad for an EQ5 Goto if you are interested.

15 hours ago, A_N_other_beginner said:

I can do two different directions, that shouldn't be an issue.

I've weighed the OTA with finder and EP - just over 7kg. So I think that rules out the SW AZ GTi mentioned above. What options does that leave me, and probably most importantly - how much do I need to budget for something second hand?

Edited by banjaxed

An alt-az Goto would be sufficient for visual use and easier and quicker to set up (no polar alignment worries) Can you see Polaris from your restricted view site?

I'd say that the Star Discovery alt-az mount is not up to the job - it is only intended to carry a lightweight OTA of AFAIK about 5Kg.  There are other alt-az GoTo mounts that would do the job, but in general they are bundled with kits, exotic or expensive. Though you could look at the iOptron mounts and ask yourself if you want to go there.

BTW, why do you hang a heavy weight under your AZ-4? I have one, and found it so rigid that adding stability aids is utterly unnecessary.

This brings us to equatorial GoTo mounts. An EQ3-2  Pro seems marginal in terms of capacity, even for visual.  An EQ5 Pro Synscan would do nicely - except that it requires polar alignment.  OTOH once you have polar aligned it the once you could mark where the tripod legs go.  This has the same (steel)  tripod as the AZ-4, BTW, so it won't be any heavier to carry (especially if you stop dangling that weight under it.)  These popular mounts cost, IIRC, around £550 new, so if you find one under £370 used you will be doing well.

There are also combined AZ/EQ GoTo mounts such as the AZ/EQ5 which might be just the thing, but you may well find them too expensive.

Be aware that a Goto mount does require some setup time - significantly longer than with your present set-up.

3 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

An alt-az Goto would be sufficient for visual use and easier and quicker to set up (no polar alignment worries) Can you see Polaris from your restricted view site?

BTW, why do you hang a heavy weight under your AZ-4? I have one, and found it so rigid that adding stability aids is utterly unnecessary.

This brings us to equatorial GoTo mounts. An EQ3-2  Pro seems marginal in terms of capacity, even for visual.  An EQ5 Pro Synscan would do nicely - except that it requires polar alignment.  OTOH once you have polar aligned it the once you could mark where the tripod legs go.  This has the same (steel)  tripod as the AZ-4, BTW, so it won't be any heavier to carry (especially if you stop dangling that weight under it.)  These popular mounts cost, IIRC, around £550 new, so if you find one under £370 used you will be doing well.

Be aware that a Goto mount does require some setup time - significantly longer than with your present set-up.

I can see Polaris fortunately.

I put the weight underneath to see if it would make any difference to stability - and it didn't. I took it off a few days ago, but I at least know what sort of weight I can manage to cart about now.

I've no problem with longer setup time as I believe that on balance it'll mean I spend more time looking at the things I want to with a GoTo. I do plan to get a smaller scope (maybe a small dob like the Flextube 130) for instant gratification/travel use, but for looking beyond the easy subjects I think a GoTo is worthwhile.

An EQ5 GoTo is what I'm looking at now - and thanks to those who mentioned the classified ad, but I won't be able to treat myself to anything this side of Christmas.

Edited by A_N_other_beginner