Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

C11 XLT - Cleaning the primary mirror and corrector plate.

It took me a while to work out what the issue was. I have had a few late nights but easy days as it was a weekend.  Last night, I looked up, the sky looked fairly clear but my subs looked very dim. Even at 10 minutes. subs. So, I parked the scope up. Removed the camera and filter. Everything looked OK there. Looked at the corrector plate ( that's the front end or the C11 ) Boy was it dirty! Not sure if someone had lit a smokey fire during the previous night or something. Looking further inside, I could see the primary mirror looking dull and dusty too. So, decided I would strip the scope down and clean it up the first chance I get!

The forecast for tonight was not so great. It was a busy day at work but in my way home I called at the shops and got a bag of pure cotton balls and de-ionised water. 

I have read lots and watched many videos on how to clean a SCT scope. My preferred method is to mark up and remove the corrector plate. Have the scope pointing slightly downwards so water falls out and not in :)  Set about with wet, soggy, cotton balls and clean the primary mirror. Dab it dry with new cotton balls and then finish off with a cool hairdryer. I washed the mirror and  dried it. Cleaned the corrector plate, both sides. Put everything back together being careful not to disturb Bobs Knobs ( Oh Er!! ;) ) .

Tested the scope in the amazing clear skies I had for 20 minutes (edit!.. or was it that I had just cleaned the scope !! ), lol. Did a de-focus test to check collimation and WOW! I could not have gotten a better circular doughnut if I tried. A great success. And all under two hours work :D ...Including a perfectly timed stop for tea :) 

So....whens the next clear sky forecast ? :D 

Dave

• Like 1

This is a surprise to me.  I have been working with, and on, SCT's for over 40 years and have never had to clean a primary!  Outgassing of the factory applied inner paint work often deposits a cloudy film on the internal face of the corrector plate  after a considerable timescale and there have been exceptional conditions when all three optical components have dewed/frosted.     🤔 

• Like 1

I switch between full FL and Hyperstar quite a lot. I also use a hairdryer sometimes to blow out condensation. Its possible dust actually gets blown into the OTA.

The scope is 10 years old now. Its the first time I have ever cleaned the primary. I have cleaner the corrector plate once before. I have not yet touched the secondary mirror. At close inspection, it still looks good to me :)