NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Poor subs

Brian28

I haven't done much LRGB imaging as I have mostly been using Narrowband ..  

anyways , started on Friday night with NGC1333 , and the subs look poor , I'm wondering if it's light pollution, especially as we're starting earlier now .. 

any thoughts ..   

heres a sub , don't worry about the square pattern that's just the iPad taking a pic of the laptop .

IMG_4601.JPG

Hi Dave , thanks for the reply ..  I processed the data from Friday , not too much to be honest as I loose the target behind the house , I think I managed 4 hours ...  so I'm on it again now .. the image from fridays data is ok but not the detail I tend to get with narrowband ..  

Hi Brian, it's a lovely target but tricky as it's so dim..  Olly put up his image on here a few weeks ago, 28 hrs in total, its worth a look..  probably take 3-4 times that from where I am to get a similar result...  

anyway good luck with it

Dave

Brian
I just posted up last night my attempt at NGC1333 , it’s not an easy target in LRGB from UK back gardens.
My subs looked really rubbish and even after integration the image needed to be really stretched and noise reduced and detail squeezed out. I have just revisited luminance for this target tonight as the skies are very good and bonus on Sunday the school pitch floodlight are off all evening as no 5 aside 😀 brings me up to over 10hrs on this target now - most I’ve ever collected, and dumped as the luminance is really tricky, at leat that’s my experience. 
Best of luck with your  attempt at NGC1333 in LRGB

Bryan

It’s an old hobby horse of mine but I believe that air pollution causes far more of a problem than mist or high cloud as it scatters light even when your target is directly overhead.  I always check my local UKAIR sites before an imaging session.  If the PM10s and 2.5s are high, I know my subs will be poor.

https://uk-air.defra.gov.uk/interactive-map (click on a site near you and that will pull up the online hourly data)

I think our air pollution problem is truly scary.  PM 2.5s in North Kent and East Essex often breach the WHO 24h recommendation of 25ug.m3 - but DEFRA doesn’t have its own formal daily limit, so nothing is said or done!  

(This August bank holiday, people were experiencing breathing difficulties on Frinton beach.  A fuel spill was mentioned as a cause. PM 2.5s in the area at the time were way over 100 ug.m3.  This never got mentioned...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-49468334)

So if you use Clear Skies as a guide to imaging prospects, I would suggest you also bookmark your nearest UKAIR site as well - especially if you live on the eastern side of England.  Bear in mind not all sites have a full range of instruments, given that it is the particulates that most seem to affect imaging.

Edited by Hallingskies
Working link put in
  • Like 1