Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What Filter for DSLR

kfox

I have researched a lot recently about what filter to get for a DSLR to help control light pollution in the night sky. I have a Sony a6000 and I am using a star adventurer mount and the DSLR  to capture images of the night sky. I am very new to astrophotography. I live on the border of Bortle 4 and 5 and I cant get more than a minute and a half exposure before it starts to get washed out and I cant decide what filter to get. I have seen the L-Pro and Astronomik light pollution filters and they seem like they work well for people. However, I was also thinking of getting a UHD filter because I want more contrast in nebulae since that's what I plan on capturing the most. My question is, what filter do you think would be best for me and for the camera. I don't know if I should get a clip in or a screw on. If I get a screw on filter, how do I make sure it will be able to fit onto a lens that I use. Any advice would be helpful! 

Also something that is besides the point is what software would be the best for post processing. I used deep sky stacker to stack my images and now I want to process them. From the research that I have done, it seems as if Pixinsight and Photoshop are the goto. I don't feel link spending $250 on Pixinsight, so would Photoshop work good enough? 

Thanks for any help! 

6 hours ago, don4l said:

Is the a6000 sensitive to Ha?  If it isn't, then filters may be disappointing for most nebula shots.

For processing I use Gimp - it's free, and it works in a similar way to Photoshop.  I've easily followed online PS tutorials and videos.

https://www.gimp.org/downloads/

I am not sure if it is sensitive to Ha. Is there a way I can figure that out? 

Edited by kfox

5 hours ago, kfox said:

I am not sure if it is sensitive to Ha. Is there a way I can figure that out? 

I would take some photos first and see what they look like.  Will you be imaging from a light polluted location?

8 hours ago, don4l said:

I would take some photos first and see what they look like.  Will you be imaging from a light polluted location?

I have enough light pollution to have to make my exposures shorter. Bortle 5. I do have some unedited pictures of the Orion Nebula if you would like to see one of those.