NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The (Almost) Re-opening of the Yerkes Observatory

CentaurZ

Having visited the Lowell Observatory at Flagstaff a few months ago I feel strongly that these are really important heritage sites that must be preserved so that they can inspire future generations.

Its good to see that the Yerkes Future Foundation have made progress in securing the future of the observatory and some of the instruments in it. I for one would love to visit the place if and when I'm in that part of the USA.

Thanks for posting the link :smile:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John said:

Having visited the Lowell Observatory at Flagstaff a few months ago I feel strongly that these are really important heritage sites that must be preserved so that they can inspire future generations.

Its good to see that the Yerkes Future Foundation have made progress in securing the future of the observatory and some of the instruments in it. I for one would love to visit the place if and when I'm in that part of the USA.

Thanks for posting the link :smile:

You're welcome. I live in northeastern Illinois (Chicagoland), which is near Yerkes. My last visit was in June of 2018, four months before it closed. Indeed, it is great to learn that it may reopen. If you do ever visit Chicago or Milwaukee, I highly recommend making the trip to a guided tour of Yerkes Observatory. 😎

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/11/2019 at 12:42, Sunshine said:

Beautiful observatory, it would be a shame to let it deteriorate, these are testaments to our yearning to understand our place.

Indeed. Meanwhile the article doesn't show the architecture in detail other than a single gargoyle. The entire facade is an assemblage of bas-reliefs from classical mythology. The lecture under the dome housing the large telescope may surprise you, as the floor and your chair rise to a level allowing an astronomer to peer through the eyepiece no matter how the telescope is oriented. There's a museum section with a great many fascinating artifacts, historical photographs and documents. After your visit, nice restaurants are situated along the shore of beautiful Geneva Lake. 😎