NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Replacing my f/5 6" Newtonian dilemma.

Hi

I am in a bit of a dilemma, after my spinal surgery I was told the maximum amount of weight I would be able to handle now is more likely to be no more then 6kg regarding telescopes, even after a few years. 😭

I would like to replace my OMNI XLT 6" newt with something more manageable - Newtonian or Refractor, as now I find it very much bulky especially when my guide scope is fitted. The XLT mirrors are fantastic and don't get me wrong I am very fond of the scope, its just the bulkiness which is not on my side no more. Collimation has never been a concern mostly as I only need to slightly tweak the primary if needed when mounted.

I initially thought replacing it with something like a 120ED, but recently being told that it will weigh somewhat more then my C100ED and would be bulky, apart from the 120ED being slightly faster the FOV imaging indicators shows very little difference If I used the C100ED with a TSRED279 0.79x reducer. I can somewhat still handle the C100ED and it doubles as a Lunar and Planetary scope due to its long focal length. It is mostly used for observing and on rare occasions lunar imaging.

My main  imaging setup telescope combination at one given time are with these telescopes:

C80ED + TSRED279 Reducer + AI294MC Pro

SWED72 + TSRED279 Reducer + AI294MC Pro

The only one to come close would be a either a ES 6" MakNewt Comet Hunter, but then even though it has a carbon fibre tubing, total including accessories is 7.9kg which is over my weight allowance or should I just replace it with a 5" 130PDS again, which nicely it weighs just under 5kg with a guidescope.

I would like to hear your views please.

Nadeem.

Not an imager but I do know that TS Optics have a range of Newts under 6kg:

Their photoline apos under 102mm should all weigh under 6kg as well. I'm sure there are more options but this little lot should start wetting your appetite :smiley:.

On a personal note, I'm sorry to hear about injury, Nadeem. I hope you're on the mend and doing alright :thumbright:

Hi Nadeem,

Sorry to hear about your back problem! I'm assuming you want this scope for visual use as you list your imaging set-up separately? There are a number of shorter/faster ed's in the 100mm range, generally around F7 that you could check out. Is budget going to limit your choice of scope? Also, have you ever used your 80ED visually? A few years ago i bought an 80mm Equinox that blew me away with its stunning lunar and planetary views, so much so Infact that I tended to use it much more often than my Equinox 120ED. Also, have you considered a SW127 Maksutov Cassegrain? Capable yet easily manageable!

post-41880-0-24225900-1429118983.thumb.jpg.153b7bd567c9b675c07abb4fc2983dee.jpg

What about a 6 inch sct?

I think mine is 8 lbs so its light. U can also add a focal reducer for imaging. The 8 inch was one best used scopes in the 80 90 and 00s for visual  and imaging.

Look at my video called on YouTube

Joe aguiar 6"sct vs 6" reflector vs 6" refractor. 

Maybe this will help what size and weight will be.

Joejaguar 

Edited by joe aguiar