NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First light for EvoGuide-50ED

AKB

Woke up this morning, would you believe it... clear sky!!

I'd been to IAS on Friday and picked up an EvoGuide-50ED, which I will use, yes, for guiding.   But, lo and behold... the moon!  What a lovely sight, really bright and so I had to dial the gain right down on the guide camera.  This is indeed first light and I've always found it hard to focus on the moon, so this is a bit soft but it will give me a good start for when (if) it's clear at night and I can actually see a star.

• 18-Nov-2019 @ 9.04 AM
  • EvoGuide-50ED
  • ASI-120MM
  • single 2ms exposure at minimum gain

This is just SO... much better than my previous guidescope worked:

20191118_Moon-EvoGuide50ED-ASI120-1x2ms-9am.thumb.jpg.75965497068674ad44cfcf1d5978e2ba.jpg

Edit:  Since we're more used to seeing images with a bit of processing, I add, for comparison, an unsharp-masked version...

20191118_Moon-EvoGuide50ED-ASI120-USM-1x2ms-9am.thumb.jpg.a0e0b80f21e706a923135929db30e4c2.jpg

Edited by AKB
  • Like 4

Good quality optics and a small handy size make them invaluable for guiding if you want to keep the overall weight down on your rig.

Now here's a question..... anybody tried a Quark Solar eyepiece on it  for imaging the Sun  ??       ie...    full solar disk shots without the need for a mosaic  ??

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Craney said:

Good quality optics and a small handy size make them invaluable for guiding if you want to keep the overall weight down on your rig.

Now here's a question..... anybody tried a Quark Solar eyepiece on it  for imaging the Sun  ??       ie...    full solar disk shots without the need for a mosaic  ??

A full disc might not be possible with a Quark as it uses a 4.2x Barlow in the system.  The Evoguide at 242x4.2 would work at 1016.4mm focal length.    🙂