Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CRAB GIF (narrowband fun)

Craney

I thought about doing this one cold night last year  when perched on my observing bench waiting for the Filter wheel to whizz its way across the whole  L R G B Ha Oiii Sii Hb  spectrum on the Crab Nebula.

Then a year seems to have passed....gulp !!   Seeing the Pleiades and Taurus rising again gave me the incentive  to finish it off.

So, here it is, a bit rough and ready but  hey-ho,   a temporal mosaic of the Crab in the form of a GIF.        ( Hope it works....)

2059228512_ezgif.com-gif-maker(4).gif.9b276a541ff8182817797809d4ac374f.gif

Equipment:  C-6 , Atik 414ex mono,  HEq5,  EFW2   with the full selection.....  R ...to .... Hb

Edited by Craney
  • Like 12

that is cool, im working on my image of the crab and im going to make an animation from hubbles picture 20 years ago, so you can see the expansion over 20 years. what im curious about is, your animation moves smoothly to the next image, did you use some software to make the transition or did you just make all the individual frames?

Hi @adamphillips

Just uploaded  the 8 separate frames onto   ezgif.com      and set the timing parameters accordingly   (ie. bit of guesswork   :) ).   It does all the filling in  within the gif generation.

The key bit is to have all the frames identical in terms of star positions, otherwise they jump around .  I used    REGISTAR,  which I have anyway for aligning the  separate  filter channels.

Your idea sounds great.   Amazing to see a  Deep space astronomical  fixture  change within our lifetime.

Sean.

Edited by Craney

Wow !!   That's incredible.     Is it me or does it look like something is spinning deep down in the nebula to cause that  strange rippling effect.   (  surely  not shock waves from the pulsar  ?? )