NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Any easy way to change the focuser on my TMB

This might be heresy but is there an easy way to change the focuser in my TMB? Don’t get me wrong - the current one is as much industrial art as it is function but for astrophotography, whilst I can make surprisingly small adjustments, it’s a bit tricky to absolutely nail it. 

Looking at the unit it will just bolt off but is there a drop in substitute so I could just replace the main focussing wheels without removing much else? 

Alternatively is there a secondary focus mechanism I could attach somewhere in the chain and roughly focus using the original mechanism and then use the second focuser to fine tune it?

Note there is a 3” tube that screws into the back of the existing focuser so perhaps a secondary unit could go there instead of the tube?

AE4F50DE-143F-4DA2-B20F-B4949ED8EE35.jpeg

HI, on my 130ss I removed the 3inch tube from the focuser and fitted a FLI DF-2 focuser. I still adjust the main focuser for main position but use the FLI for all auto focus adjustments. Most adapters are available. Hope this helps.   Henry B.

• Like 1

I would contact Markus Ludes at APM Telescopes. He probably knows TMB / LZOS scopes as well as anyone now that Thomas Back is no longer with us. APM still carry a few of the original fittings for the "Classic CNC TMB" range as it's known.

There is also a group of owners of these instruments on the "Cloudynights" forum who might be able to make some suggestions.

One approach that I have seen is to add a Feathertouch unit to the back end of the original focuser as demonstrated in this 130mm F/7:

4d2f7145ceadac07e039ab1e83ddadfa-img.jpg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, John said:

I would contact Markus Ludes at APM Telescopes. He probably knows TMB / LZOS scopes as well as anyone now that Thomas Back is no longer with us. APM still carry a few of the original fittings for the "Classic CNC TMB" range as it's known.

There is also a group of owners of these instruments on the "Cloudynights" forum who might be able to make some suggestions.

One approach that I have seen is to add a Feathertouch unit to the back end of the original focuser as demonstrated in this 130mm F/7:

4d2f7145ceadac07e039ab1e83ddadfa-img.jpg

Aye that’s the sort of thing I had in mind. Would rather not stray too far from the original spec if at all possible. 

I have a Moonlite (cheeky edit!) on my Meade SCT - don’t suppose you know when I can just change the mounting plate on that? 

Edited by dannybgoode

The key to getting a Moonlite or a Feather touch fitted is the flange between the focuser and the scope. Unless someone has one somewhere to fit the focuser of your choice, you may need to get one made.

On the Feathertouch, the flange is this part. Moonlite use a different design but it's a similar concept, ie: focuser - scope interface.

tmbflange.jpg.c5386976bf4195ab42ecda473a07b021.jpg

iam sure moonlight or feather touch can do it

I changed my takahashi 102 TSA whole focuser assembly to the medium format 2.5" focuser in red colour.

Both companies have just about every adptor for almost most scopes BUT its not cheap.

my focuser assembly was $713

joejaguar

Edited by joe aguiar