Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fav Image So Far - Horsehead Nebula

upahill

Last night was clear for a few hours between 10pm and 3am.

Managed to get a couple hours worth of subs, took some better calibration (mostly as I rotated camera) and kept the dew at bay. Processed this today and very happy with the results. I haven't had this much 'star glow' before to deal with, but I quite like the effect its given the image.

drizzle_integration_portrait.thumb.png.dc9fd347ede9364e70431b04dd42a95b.png

I have tried imaging this before, and the goto + platesolve usually leaves it in a landscape orientation, but having played with Telescopius I thought I would give this orientation a go. I actually was a little out from what I had planned which would have given me a little more in the upper right, and shifted the image over to the right slighty - but will save that for next time.

Just glad the observatory is doing what I wanted it to do - letting me get out and imaging without the faff.

• Like 13

26 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Superb! I like orientation. Very impressive result 

Thanks :) Looking forward to getting a decent dew strap on the scope instead of my heath job. 🤣

Hairdryer works but not ideal.

1 minute ago, upahill said:

Thanks :) Looking forward to getting a decent dew strap on the scope instead of my heath job. 🤣

Hairdryer works but not ideal.

It was posted yesterday so should be winging its way to you as we speak :D:D

• Like 1

I used the Light Vortex Astronomy tutorial for stacking and calibration - and I genuinely feel the results are significantly better than when I use DSS. Albeit a lot more time consuming.

https://www.lightvortexastronomy.com/tutorial-pre-processing-calibrating-and-stacking-images-in-pixinsight.html

I created a quick crib sheet to help me try and remember the process for in the future without having to scroll through the incredibly comprehensive tutorial and load the hundreds of helpful screenshots. Attaching here in case I lose it and want it again in the future.

Processing Cheat Sheet.pdf