NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

And then there was a GPC

Rusted

In my quest to become a real solar imager I have added a Baader 1:1.25 GPC to my 6" f/8 PST mods.

This morning [Sunday 27th] before it started raining :crybaby2: I captured some videos with and without the GPC.

Here's the result of a couple of swift bits of processing: The image scale is the clue to whether the GPC was present.

10_04_10 prom 271019 pf.jpg

10_41_24 prom gpc 271019 pf.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Always good to experiment. are you taking flats ?

Dave

Thanks Dave.

Not yet. Now I have the license from SharpCap I could give flats a try to clean the debris from my images.
I just need a simple [enough] guide to taking flats. Then I can be let loose on a startled world.  :wink2:

3 minutes ago, Rusted said:

Thanks Dave. :thumbsup:

Do I continue pointing at the sun to capture flats?
Given my tendency to fire starting... :blush:
Same settings as for video capture?

Yes I leave it tracking at same settings, never managed to set fire to the cling film, perhaps it's fire retardant ?

Dave

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Yes I leave it tracking at same settings, never managed to set fire to the cling film, perhaps it's fire retardant ?

Dave

What about using baking paper? :wink2:

Thanks Dave. I was joking about baking paper on the "fire-starter" theme. :smile:

I have a very hot cone of light out in front of my 6" objective reflected back out by the internal filter.

I shall just have to experiment to see what is feasible. "Translucent" might transmit enough heat and light to survive.

• Like 1