NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What filters do you use ?

Neiman

Hiya, I’ve just purchased a manual 5 filter - filter wheel. I know I need as a minimum r,g,b and maybe l. What make as there’s a few out there ? What make do people use ? I have been looking at baader ones.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Neil

Where do you image from Neil ? I ask as I recently did the same thing, went mono and bought a 5 position wheel, R G B L and Ha ... Then saw how amazing Ha was in light polluted area and ended up ditching the R G B and buying Oiii Sii and Ha. ZWO 1.25" and very happy with them ( make sure you get the newer version as Oiii has reflections greatly reduced)

• Like 1

I've always enjoyed the results from my Baader filters, they work well and are sensibly priced.

In recent times more brands have been introduced. It's just an assumption but I would guess at them coming out the same production facility and just being rebranded.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, knobby said:

Where do you image from Neil ? I ask as I recently did the same thing, went mono and bought a 5 position wheel, R G B L and Ha ... Then saw how amazing Ha was in light polluted area and ended up ditching the R G B and buying Oiii Sii and Ha. ZWO 1.25" and very happy with them ( make sure you get the newer version as Oiii has reflections greatly reduced)

I will be going down the back garden route. My area is a 6 on the Bortle scale.

I use Baader 2" mounted - L - R - G - B - Ha - Sii and Oiii

These https://www.firstlightoptics.com/rgb-filters-filter-sets/baader-lrgbc-ccd-filter-set.html

and

These https://www.firstlightoptics.com/narrowband/baader-narrowband-ccd-emission-line-h-alpha-filters-2.html

If you have a 5 position wheel I would try LRGB and Ha to start with.

I am very happy with my Baader filters - sure they are not Astrodon quality but they are a fraction of the (eye watering) Astrodon price !

• Like 1

Camera chip size and telescope ... Bigger chip needs 2" smaller chip 1.25” as a very rough guide, so long as the filter will cover the chip without casing vignetting you should be ok.

Edited by knobby
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, knobby said:

Camera chip size and telescope ... Bigger chip needs 2" smaller chip 1.25” as a very rough guide, so long as the filter will cover the chip without casing vignetting you should be ok.

Cheers for that, really helped

• Thanks 1