NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Climate Control of Obervatory

4 hours ago, Manny1957 said:

I just have a quick question, I live in Florida and was wondering whether an observatory should be climate-controlled? Thank you in advance.

It needs to be maintained at ambient temperature so you may want to install a fan to ventilate it during the day so that it does not become an oven and when you open it up the scope is as close to ambient as possible.

Here in the UK with cooler temperatures (usually) and a damp climate, desiccant type dehumidifiers are often used in enclosed observatories to prevent damage to scopes/mount/electronics due to moisture. These will function at the low temperatures encountered in un-heated observatories.

I concur with the fan to circulate air and ventilate the obsy. Once you are in and observing then you might notice on cooler evenings  that a second body in the dome might raise the temperature a bit, add a 3rd and even more warmth being given off from breathing and bare skin.

I have a ROR obsy so with a wide open roof I do not have the issues that might occur with a dome.