Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

China Eclipse - anyone going?

Helen

We're considering the trip next year. We originally had this romantic notion of going to Bhutan to see it from there - it would have been awesome, if only it wasn't the rainy season :D So we're onto plan B - we just don't know what that is yet!!

I've read a bit that suggests the chances of clear skies aren't actually particularly high anywhere in the region, and remembering the weather from the Olympics this summer doesn't exactly inspire confidence either. But given the length of the eclipse it might still be worth the risk. We've seen one, so this would be more a bonus than a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity (and there's always 2010 on Easter Island :hello2: ).

So anyone going and/or got recommendation?

Thanks

Helen

Hi Helen,

I was thinking of going ....BUT - Just been to China , so there would be no point going on a tour. Also the cloud cover percentage at that time of year is very high.

The eclipse in 2010 is in the South Pacific - percentage of clear skies very high - so this is the one for me , just got to save a load of cash :D

John

The tour round China was fantastic , my wife and daughter went with me.( photo below).

We did all the usual tourist spots - Shanghai , Beijing , Great Wall , Forbidden City , Terracotta Army , Chengdu - Pandas , Li River , Hong Kong etc.

The Chinese people were wonderful and we encountered no problems of any sort. The street markets are a amazing site - snake wine anybody ??

You have to fly between major cities - the country is just too big to use buses. They do now have 185 mph trains on some routes , we travelled on one from Shanghai to Suzhou.

My daughter would love to go back.

John

post-13061-133877351107_thumb.jpg

I am going as are 16 others from Wiltshire Astro Society and a few more from other groups. The main tour they are doing is 2 weeks all over China, for around £1500 pp, so even if it's clouded out, they will probably have a great time. I am going independently meeting up in HangZhou for the eclipse day with them, flying myself in to Shanghai a few days before, and then flying out a few days after (airmiles trip...cost = £<300 all in, inc hotels)

Even if it's cloudy, China will be a new one for me...

Hi Nick,

If I had not already been on a trip to China I would have given the China eclipse a go. To travel all that way just to see the eclipse and go home is a waste as probably most of the cost is the flight tickets. I do hope its a clear day for the ones that do go.

In the meantime I have to get measured for a grass skirt for the 2010 eclipse :D

John

the <£300 is train fares to Hangzhou/food/hotel in Hangzhou/Visa

But I agree, it could be a colossally long journey for no return, barring a nice chance to see one of China's most beautiful spots, and Shanghai...

Still it beats Cornwall in 99 for the general views..

We had thought about it but decided that with the dodgy weather and the cost, that we would rather wait until 2010. Not to keen on Easter Island but what might be interesting is Chile.

The sun sets eclipsed from Chile which should be something different. Plenty of wildlife etc. there as well as the ancient sites. More up our street than China.

Rob

Chile is wonderful :hello2: and fancy that trip whether or not we go to China :D .

We've never been to China though, so there is the sight-seeing as a bonus. But I'm slightly concerned that all the trips seem to be going to the same area, so it'll end up crowded out (and that's not my idea of fun for sight-seeing). I think I need to explore altenatives, perhaps with some of the smaller companies.

Interested to hear other people's views too though!

Thanks

Heen

Helen

Helen

We have 2 spare spaces on our trip for China, which , knowing our Chairman, will be rather tasteful and a good trip, if you want to find out more and the itinerary, drop me a PM and i'll pass on his details

Hi John,

I am sure that there will as ever be several tours available. We have used Explorers ( www.explorers.co.uk ) for astro related trips:-

Fire & ice - Alaska for the Aurora and Hawaii for the scopes.

Egypt - Transit of Venus

Libya - eclipse 2006.

In each case Dr John Mason was the tour expert as he was this year and will be next year in China. We have been pleased with all trips, but as you say they get expensive when you start adding all the optional extensions.

Rob

Nick,

yes that's right. Dive holidays is their main thing. The MD Brian is a diver whilst his wife Hazel is the astronomer, hence they do a number of astro related tours to keep Hazel happy. The transit trip to Egypt was based at their dive center in Sharm El Sheikh. Not sure that the staff at the Ocean Club knew what had hit them, a hotel + overflow to two others, full of anoraks ( ok it was hot so we left them off ) with telescopes rather than scuba gear.

The hotel was also the base for the BBC's coverage.

Rob

Wicked little hotel the Ocean Club. Great roof terrace with little fires around the edges, and a tent where they show films.. cheap food and beer, great atmosphere..The rooms are basic, but do the job. Sad to see the last time we went they had installed metal detectors on the doors to stop the fundamentalist nutjobs from blowing tourists up. (didn't stop em, as a week after we were there, the big bomb went off in the centre of town, destroying the market area..utterly devastating for the locals)

Anyway... Alan, Welshman was our DM on my last trip out with them, and then we went back a year later with a posher hotel, we ended up spending most of our evenings (when not in town) at the Ocean Club, just cus it was more fun, and he remembered us (being a fellow welshman perhaps?)

Highly recommended dive operation...they have some of the best divers in the world as instructors, and unlike in Oz, they tend to leave their egos behind.

Quad bike tour in to the desert at night is brill, echo canyon etc... and the skies are excellent (when the sand/dust is not too bad)

But back to China...I guess if Explorers are doing a tour, it will be a good one.

Helen, we've also secured a not too busy site for our eclipse view, on one of the West Lake Islands (as the tidal bore...well it's not until Sept...http://www.asiarooms.com/travel-guide/china/hangzhou/sightseeing-in--hangzhou/qiantang-river-bore-(silver-dragon)-hangzhou.html)

(helps knowing people in the area...which our chairman does!)

Of course, something may happen...but ...hmm

We're going to (all being well/clouds etc) be viewing from here

http://www.chinahotel.com.cn/ch_scenic_info.php?sl41_No=1005

Archived