Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

LX200 ASCOM issue

Philip Benson

Hi Guys,

I don't know if you can offer any advice on this...

I was helping a friend on Friday evening in establishing an ASCOM connection between his 14" LX200GPS and Starry Night etc.

After trying a few USB/serial leads and drivers we managed to get a stable connection to the scope and this worked fine in SN. However We noticed a consistent error between the scopes actually pointing location on the sky and the shown position in SN. 

For example with the scope centred on M76 we slewed to a bright star in Cassiopeia.  The scope slewed fine and we took an image which confirmed the star was in the FOV.  However the red cross in SN was showing a couple of degrees off the star.  I tried to 'sync on' the target but the cross did not move. We slewed back to M76 and once again a quick sub confirmed M76 was back in the FOV.

So pointing is fine, but there is an error in the actual and displayed pointing positions. The same issue occurs when I closed SN and tried Maxim instead.

Any suggestions on how I can bring the scope and the software 'in line' with each other?
Edited by Philip Benson